free website stats program 1992 soft tail whining noise | Harley Davidson Forums

1992 soft tail whining noise

i have a 1992 heritage soft tail and i cannot identify where the whining noise is coming from . Thought it might be coming from the exhuast gasket, so i replaced them and it is still there. As you increase the throttle the whining increases. i can barely hear it at idle but as i increase the rpms it increases.This does not affect the bikes performance and there is no sign of any leaks. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS MAY BE ?........THANKS

have had the bike for 2 months it was real faint when i bought it and it has gotten louder over the past 2 months

Check the tension and alignment on the Belt...Too tight will make a noise...

Primary,
What oils were in the bike when you got it and WHAT did you replace them with?? IF you did?

Usually a whine will mean the tension on the primary chain is TOO Tight.. HAS that adjustment been set by you OR another?

That is the first place to check NOT just Listen but Check, AND in several places along the chain, turning over with spark plugs out and feel to see IF Too Tight at ANY spot along the travel..
(You have the small inspection cover with different length bolts on the cover so remember which goes where..)

Give us this information and report back please. :D

signed....BUBBIE

Ok i will check the primary tension when i get home from work and let you know. Thanks for the tip .also about the screws......it is appreciated

On a bike I just acquired, regardless of what the previous owner told me, I would perform a fluid & "10K" service. You need some kind of starting point. As Glider & Bubbie has suggested,, primary chain adjustment & fluid is where I would look first.

I am with Bubbie on this one tight primary chain will make a noticeable whine

Brian

Back