free website stats program 1992 Fatboy Ignition Switch Question | Harley Davidson Forums

1992 Fatboy Ignition Switch Question

Hades02

For all of you running an Evo Softail (specifically a Fatboy) or for those that know. Buddy of mine has a 1992 Fatboy. When he switches from ignition to lights, on the ignition switch, the bike stumbles (almost stalls) then runs fine again. This happens when switching from ignition to lights or lights to ignition. It's almost as if the electrical power shuts off for a millisecond.

Is this normal?

No that's not normal. I'd be looking for a short in the switch or a bad ignition switch. How old is the battery? Has he tested the charging system.

Last edited:
No that's not normal. I'd be looking for a short in the switch or a bad ignition switch. How old is the battery? Has he tested the charging system.
Battery is new and the charging system checks out great. I just pulled the ignition switch and there is a lot of corrosion on the contacts. I'll clean them up and see if that helps.

Yes it is normal I always keep the revs up when moving the switch from ignition to lights
93 year models on do not have the ability to switch the lights off or run the bike without them

Brian

Yes it is normal I always keep the revs up when moving the switch from ignition to lights
93 year models on do not have the ability to switch the lights off or run the bike without them

Brian
It may dog down but not to the point of stalling IMHO, I think he's got some other issue going on. OP said he has the same issue going from lights back to ign. where there should be much less of a draw.

Last edited:
I always start my 92 softail with the lights off if I move the main switch from the ignition to lights and the bike is at idle then the momentary cut off of power between the 2 points on the switch will kill the engine
If I raise the revs there will be a stumble but the engine will keep running
It is the way they were made at that time there is a brief disconnect of power between the 2 positions on the switch and evo engines tend to idle at a much slower speed than twin cam

Brian

My 92 softail has operated this way since I got it 9 1/2 years ago so I think of it as just the way it is and part of it's character
my 93 sportster and 94 wide glide do not suffer the same issue as the lights come on with ignition and that is the way they are and I prefer not to rewire to be able to switch the lights off

Brian

I agree with Fin's comments. I and friends checked several softails out in the 90's when a friend complained of this. Simple solution is to switch fast, or idle up. It's due to design of the switch, there is a moment of no contact.
I just remembered, my Shovelhead will do the same thing.

Thanks everyone. I will give my buddy the option to replace his switch. I did reconnect his headlight to come on when he is in ignition. So he may just opt to leave it and not switch to lights for the spots.

Back