free website stats program 1991 Softail Turn signal Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

1991 Softail Turn signal Issues

Shipper

I have a 91 Softail. Just put on new rear turn signals and now none of the turn signals work.

Bike started out with: Custom small "spade" type bulbs front and back(5Watt) with a resistor style load module in parallel, and OEM TSM module. Lights worked fine.

Replaced rear TS lights with larger socket style bulbs(1157 style?) Front and rear TS lights would not come on or blink

Replaced the Resistor style load equalizer with a Badlands solid state load equalizer 3. Still no lights or blink.

If I unplug the rear lights and load module, the front TS lights and the indicator lights will turn on and then off as the handlebar switch is is pressed. (I have heard this is normal).

Is it possible that these aftermarket turn signals are loading down the stock turn signal module? I have to think they are similar to stock bulbs.

Is there any way to "bench test" the stock turn signal module?

Any great words of wisdom?

Steve

I dunno, I've got a 1990 softail with the socket style bulbs and I don't have any load equalizer at all, maybe take the load equalizer out of the circuit altogether and give that a try. I also don't have the module that keeps the turn signals on, you have to hold the button down, don't know if the 1991 came with that module or not, I know my 1993 fatboy has that module under the speedo and the turn signal canceling.

I got it! After a couple of days screwing around; it turns out to be a bad ignition switch. I have a 2volt drop across the switch therefore only having around 9.5 volts to the light circuits. It appears that this is not enough potential to drive the module and lights properly. When I put a jumper around the switch and got full voltage to the circuit, everything worked. Strange coincidence.

Back