free website stats program 1991 HERITAGE SOFTAIL w/sidecar | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

1991 HERITAGE SOFTAIL w/sidecar

Blademan ; Actually Lawerence's was the first place I called since the were the last one to do work on it and less then 100 miles have been put on the bike.. Talked with the guy he wasn't much help at all ..Told him I would have it towed to them he said it would be a 8 week wait... I tried begging with them since they know the bike and it had recenly been in their shop to the tune of 880.00 maybe they could check it sooner and needless to say he was not accomadating..So decided I would do bussiness somewhere else... I tell you what not many Harley mechanics around here...

Do you know if it is a expensive fix ?

Curious...if this is what it is...what causes this to happen ?

I can maybe get some help and give it a try..

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the checking the mech. may have done the trans pulley can be close to stripping and the bike runs fine. They don't give you much if any warning. It would not be something that an inspection will turn up. The early trans. pulley and locking nut were upgraded but I don't remember it being a warranty type fix. Some people never had any problems with it, but once the engine was hopped up or in your case the sidecar was added it placed more strain on the trans. pulley design.

The new trans. pulley and spacer with new locking nut is less than $80. If you have a manual the removal and reassembly are pretty straight forward. You will need impact sockets (I'll get you the sizes) and an air impact wrench. Plus all the new gaskets.

Last edited by a moderator:
So was there issues with the early trans. pulley and such...If so that maybe the case...Because of the sidecar should I ask for anything special ??? And does the trans pully affect the clutch plate and all as far as repair ?

So was there issues with the early trans. pulley and such...If so that maybe the case...Because of the sidecar should I ask for anything special ??? And does the trans pully affect the clutch plate and all as far as repair ?

The clutch should not be effected. The pulley will be the upgraded model. Have you tried these folks:Home

I have a appointment with them....I take it in on June 10th......
He is actually the one that told me to try the adjustment as it maybe
a easy fix...

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I can't be of much help here. My only recommendation would be to get yourself the service manual for your bike.

It appears you are good at following instructions, better perhaps than some others on this forum. With the Service manual and the people on this forum I believe you could fix this yourself.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread and wish you the best of luck!

Cheers!
Ferrous

Thanks for the encouragement... but think I should let the shop deal with it this time..I do have the manuals but not sure if I should really attempt or not..?? But I will try to learn and be able to in the future... this forum is awesome and so helpful

Thanks for the encouragement... but think I should let the shop deal with it this time..I do have the manuals but not sure if I should really attempt or not..?? But I will try to learn and be able to in the future... this forum is awesome and so helpful

The members and moderators here on the forum will always try to give you the information needed to solve the problems. The rules of the forum are in place to make sure everyone feels welcome and that they will not be harassed for asking a question. I think you are wise to let a professional take care of this for you. That being said with your approach I think you are fully capable of taking care of this yourself, and with the help of the members here you would be up and running. My only concern was the tools needed and with the sidecar you will be working from the floor, which is not always a comfortable place to be. If you change your mind and decide to have at it, we will be here for you.

So finally got my bike fixed.... Heres the deal is was just the clutch adjustment ...when in the shop previously they adjusted the clutch and put on new cable well it was way to tight which I quess could of fried up the plates or clutch..the primary oil was fried.....shifts fine so far will take for a ride when the rain stops... Also found a local small shop the guy came to my house adjusted then drove it and did primary oil and a check over....

Guys I could of done the adjustment but felt the primary oil needed changed and checked out so decided to just wait... Thanks for all the help...I will keep checking back....:23::bigsmiley12::small3d026:

Glad you're back on the road. Enjoy the ride after the rain. If you would send some of the rain to So. Texas, we could use it.
tourbox

Back