free website stats program 1991 HERITAGE SOFTAIL w/sidecar | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1991 HERITAGE SOFTAIL w/sidecar

Thanks for the help HDDon , and yes Webbtron...It's a beautiful bike..just got it first ride problem occured..Hope this will fix..if not long wait to get into a shop....

It will get resolved soon and you'll be so happy. When you do and have time to get all settled in with it, we would love some photos of the bike. Looks great!

Hello I am new to this forum...I just got my bike and went for my first real ride yesterday....All was fine then I was going along then it shifted into 3rd and it would not pickup speed when giving gas...Seemed like something might be wrong so I pulled over... Then when I tried to put it back in gear bike would not move forward... I tried taking off in 2nd also...not such luck. Waited awhile was able to go but would only go about 30 mph and then seemed like it was reving up..Pulled over again ..with help I got it towed home...Is this a clutch or transmission problem... Bike did smell hot.... This bike was just in the shop and was given a Ok on everything ...I am very puzzled I have not even put 100 miles on her... Any input would be greatly appreciated....

Hi Duff; I've been on a roadtrip and just saw your post. Help me to understand a couple things (in red) Did you shift into third, or did it do it by itself? What happens/sounds when you put it in gear? Can you feel/hear the gears engage, does the bike try and move at all when you release the clutch?
Does the clutch lever feel right, a tiny bit of free play, then a firm pressure as you pull it back to the grip? When you move the shift lever down, can you feel the spring return it to center, or does it just stay down? If you put the bike in gear with engine off, can you push the bike forward or backward at all? And lastly, any nut or bolt that YOU will be working on is lefty loosey, righty tighty. The odd ones live way inside the clutch assembly.
To the forum guys: my questions are aimed at a stripped primary pully, or a broken shift return spring.

I hear you Breeze. I have had the stripped pulley problem and once it happens I could not get the bike to move at all. The splines were gone and all the bike would do was rev up/no go. Duff has not said if it is the stock clutch or not and if it is the original plates and pads. After she has adjusted the clutch she can better tell us if it is slipping or not. With the added weight of the sidecar I thinking that we may be helping her rebuilt the clutch.

I still need help...As you all know I guess is next to impossible getting a bike into a shop...Both guys here in my town are great and have been helpful ..saying what you said even told me how and drew a picture...Here's the problem the locknut seems to be very tight so when you turn the plate turns also...Any input would be helpful... Easy on me I am a female but capable of following directions well . Thank you... Shops can't get me in for 6 weeks...I want to ride and also the only enforcement sidecar class is in a week, then none schuduled...

Are you talking about the nut in the center of the clutch hub used for adjustment? This is normal threaded nut, put the bike in gear after following the instructions in post 2 with Bubbies clutch adjustment. With the bike in gear if you use a long ratchet and socket and bump with the heel of your hand it should come loose, it is normal for the inner plate to want to rotate

Hello Breeze3at;;;
Thanks for the reply..didn't realize I had one..thought I would be notified through my email .
Answers to your questions...I shifted it my self but then it seemed like at that time the engine reveed but did not pick up speed.Then I shortly thereafter pulled over. No sounds that I heared, I slightly feel the gears engage, Bike does not want to move when the clutch is released, No plAy in clutch but it seems tight to me. Shift lever does not seem to return to the center, but didn't seem to before this problem either although I haven't even put 100 miles on it yet... Not fimiliar of this tye of lever . I wonder about the play that it seems to have, Makes me wonder, I have not tried moving with the engine off..I will and I'll get back with you...Any further input would be greatly appreciated just so I have some knowledge when it goes into the shop... Thanks you so much Duff:)

Hello Breeze3at;;;
Thanks for the reply..didn't realize I had one..thought I would be notified through my email .
Answers to your questions...I shifted it my self but then it seemed like at that time the engine reveed but did not pick up speed.Then I shortly thereafter pulled over. No sounds that I heared, I slightly feel the gears engage, Bike does not want to move when the clutch is released, No plAy in clutch but it seems tight to me. Shift lever does not seem to return to the center, but didn't seem to before this problem either although I haven't even put 100 miles on it yet... Not fimiliar of this tye of lever . I wonder about the play that it seems to have, Makes me wonder, I have not tried moving with the engine off..I will and I'll get back with you...Any further input would be greatly appreciated just so I have some knowledge when it goes into the shop... Thanks you so much Duff:)

Is there any way for you to get the rear tire off the ground? If you can put the trans in 1st gear and see if you can rotate the wheel.

I just bought the bike so not sure about the clutch being original...and also not for sure how much the sidecar was on it... I bought from the family of an elderly guy who passed away..and didn't know much...So they had it completly checked out at a harley place which gave it a clean bill of health... Bike only has 27,000 miles.... Is it a issue having the sidecar on this bike ? I read somewhere else on this forum that it is not a good idea ? Thanks Duff

I just bought the bike so not sure about the clutch being original...and also not for sure how much the sidecar was on it... I bought from the family of an elderly guy who passed away..and didn't know much...So they had it completly checked out at a harley place which gave it a clean bill of health... Bike only has 27,000 miles.... Is it a issue having the sidecar on this bike ? I read somewhere else on this forum that it is not a good idea ? Thanks Duff

There is an upgraded trans pulley that has more spline depth than what came on the bike originally. It does sound like the trans pulley is stripped and replacing it requires removing the outer primary cover and the clutch, comp. sprocket, primary chain as a unit and the inner primary cover.

Back