free website stats program 1991 883 sporty, starting issues, (help) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1991 883 sporty, starting issues, (help)

thanks to all who posted. he replaced the relay under seat and he's riding once again!!! thanks to all!!!

I'm glad he's up and rding again.
I would suggest, however, that he check his wiring anyway as the bike is old;) and the wiring corrodes also internally without it showing on the outside.
Check battery and starter terminals - clean and add dielectric grease.
Get a manual, and do the electric checks - in particular voltage drop tests - to prevent future (and sudden) failures...

funny you'd say that, he says yesterday he went to get on it, and tried to start it and was a no go. he says he pulled plug out and the spark was red instead of blue,
all it would do is just spin over would not fire . what to look for know?

I would pull all fuses and relays from the fuse block and check for corrosion, sportsters are famous for this. Like a previous poster said, clean off corrosion and apply die-electric grease to all terminals. Good luck!

I dont think there are any fuses in this year all breakers mounted on the rear fender under the seat but i think perhaps checking all multi plugs for green corrosion and earth points are good may be the best way to start especially anything to do with the ignition circuit
location of the main parts are ignition pickups are under the points cover ignition module is under the triangular cover on the left side just behind the battery and the coil is located at the front of the frame hanging just above the front cylinder and not to forget the voes which is between the 2 cylinders and mounted to the top frame tube
so for all those parts i would be checking the state of the wiring and connectors as a start point

Brian

And in additon, replace the main wires from the battery, regardless of appearance:
- the black to the starter
- The red to the main breaker
- The main grounding wire. Here you need to also make sure the contact with the frame is good (use a star washer to penetrate paint/oil/rust).
After that, with basic electric skills/knowledge and a VOM measure voltage drops. It is not complicated, and that bike has very simple wiring lay-out.
Note that I'm no electrical enigneer, but I completely re-wired my old '88XL and partly my current bike. It's just a matter of using common sense, a VOM, and using the wiring diagrams (following colours).

I found my old diagram - for '86-'90 XL - but should be sufficient for this one as well (I can email you a larger version).

Attachments

• XL wiring diagram small.jpg
    XL wiring diagram small.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 7
Back