free website stats program 1991 883 sporty, starting issues, (help) | Harley Davidson Forums

1991 883 sporty, starting issues, (help)

ron1978

my friend bought a 1991 sporty from a older man that no longer rode, it has 15,000 miles on it, the problem seems to be when he turns key on and pushes button no fire, he replaced the key ignition, and still no fire, when he turns key on and hits button, down on starter cyclinoid, theres no volts there to be found, battery is new also. he bought a starter relay but cant find the old one on the bike? can you guys direct me on were it could be and what to start looking for to help him get it on the rode?? thanks!

p.s he also told me when he turns his key to acc, the brake light glows, he unplugged the 2 wire on brake light and it still glows????
not sure about what he meant...

anything is possible , he said it stopped cranking about 2 weeks after he got it, so he started replacing things, the igniton was first peice.

my friend bought a 1991 sporty from a older man that no longer rode, it has 15,000 miles on it, the problem seems to be when he turns key on and pushes button no fire, he replaced the key ignition, and still no fire, when he turns key on and hits button, down on starter cyclinoid, theres no volts there to be found, battery is new also. he bought a starter relay but cant find the old one on the bike? can you guys direct me on were it could be and what to start looking for to help him get it on the rode?? thanks!

p.s he also told me when he turns his key to acc, the brake light glows, he unplugged the 2 wire on brake light and it still glows????
not sure about what he meant...

What do you mean "no fire"? Bike will not crank? or bike cranks but has no spark at sparkplug? Have you load tested the battery. What kind of battery? Some need to be charged before installing. Trying to figure out why ign switch was replaced?

yea will not crank or click at all. he thought the igniton was bad so he bought a new one, it was he's starting point, the battery is a harley battery. its new. i thought it might be push button gone bad, or relay, but he has no idea were relays are mounted on a 91 model, i don't either, ( i had a 2000 model sporty but can't rember every messing with any electrical on it other than wire under fender scrubbed and need replacing.

yea will not crank or click at all. he thought the igniton was bad so he bought a new one, it was he's starting point, the battery is a harley battery. its new. i thought it might be push button gone bad, or relay, but he has no idea were relays are mounted on a 91 model, i don't either, ( i had a 2000 model sporty but can't rember every messing with any electrical on it other than wire under fender scrubbed and need replacing.

Starter relay is under the seat on a 91xl. First i would unplug the 50 terminal from the solenoid and check for 12 volts there when start button is pressed.If no voltage test or replace the relay. It can be tested with a battery and meter. Unplug the connector from relay. connect the battery leads to 86 & 85 terminals (marked on the relay) to energize the relay. Check for continuity between the 30 & 87 terminals. A good relay will show continuity.

Also you can jump the 50 term on solenoid to batt pos and starter should turn over when contact is made. This tells you that the starter is turning properly.

I am not near my main computer, but this schematic for a 1991 bagger should be close enough if you look in the lower right corner is the wiring. It sounds like you have an open fuse or that skinny wire/connection going to the starter solenoid or the part itself is bad or seized. Do you have DMM and a little bit electrical troubleshooting experience...you should be fine.:)...keep in touch as how you are doing...:s

1991-93_FLSTC_919.gif

1988-9_key_for_889_and_919.gif

Check the big red thick wire that goes from the battery positive down to the starter relay and onto the starter motor, in the uk where we have plenty of rain and dirty roads these become corroded creating a bad connection. A good but crude way to check this is to turn the ignition on and bridge the rely terminals with a screwdriver momentarily,if the motor spins then this is ok, its worth a go,

Starter relay is under the seat and as i remember it is on the right side mounted to the frame and has to be removed if you are trying to get the oil tank off but it has been a few years and the mind is old and hazy

Brian

Back