free website stats program 1990 fxr stops running above 60 mph | Harley Davidson Forums

1990 fxr stops running above 60 mph

HDeluxe

Hi, my friend has a 1990 FXR and it now stops running if he goes above 60 mph. He pulls over and lets it sit for a short time, starts it back up and rides on but can't go 60 or above or it will shut down again. It doesn't act like it's out of ga, it just quits. Any ideas was causes this? Thanks

Not sure about that model but if he has a fuel petcock that has a vacuum line going to it possibly the vacuum line is soft and is getting pulled shut and therefore running out of fuel?

I had this same thing happen on a 93 fxd and it ended up being the ignition switch so you may want to check that also.

Tell your friend to replace the main breaker. They had problems with them tripping in the early 90's. I had the same bike and same problem too, replaced the breaker and never happened again.

I even think there was a recall on them too.

Ask if he has to turn the key off be for it will restart or just hit the starter button. I have seen it both ways. The main breaker is a great idea.

Just to day my 93 FXDL cut off on a country road. I had no elec power. Turned the key off for a little bit then back on and all was new again. I know its the main breaker. When I got back home and took the cover off it was way to hot to the touch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back