free website stats program 1989 sportster shift problem. | Harley Davidson Forums

1989 sportster shift problem.

RHATT

whats up everyone.
1989 883 sporty fell over in the back yard today, the forward control foot lever got pushed up. the bike was in neutral when it fell, and when we picked it up it was in gear. what gear, i have no clue, the foot peg level was pushed up about 3-4 inches (or backwards, the same direction as if you were shifting up), and there was a ton of slack in the mechanism,
could it be pawl spring at the end of the shift lever? (inside the tran?)

I am not sure if it is something that is wrong with the forward control set up, or something internal. is there any sort of springloaded piece that could have come off of the forward control?

there is about 3/4" of play on the spline that is coming out of the primary, back and forth like in a half circle, then when it hits the halfway points to the left and right, it just stops, like its hitting something.

if you have any ideas as to what it could be. please let me know.
thanks.

ok now the bike isnt rolling even when the clutch is in. ill take a closer look chopper. and ill look outside tomorrow in the grass.

ok took the primary cover off, and the shift lever is just loose, up and down. side to side. and half turns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it #31 thats the problem, do you have foward controls, how are the splines on the shaft & shifter?

XLSHIFTER1986.jpg

it was actually #21, the shift lever that penetrates the transmission. at the end of that lever is a piece that comes off at a 90 degree, and gets slotted into the gear shift cam, it wasnt slotted in there anymore. so we put it back in, and hooked the FC back up to it, and went through all the grears, 1 N 2 3 4, all good, did a thorough inspection on the tranny on the table and everything seemed pretty good. the only thing that got bent was the plate and spline that the foot lever is slotted into. eveything closer to the shift lever that is coming out of the primary look to be un touched.

when the bike fell it was in N, im guessing the lever got blasted up and the bike went into 4rth. but then the shift lever came out of the cam.

Back