free website stats program 1989 FXR no fire to plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

1989 FXR no fire to plugs

nascar7613

1989 FXR no fire to plugs. Replaced the sensor in the nose cone, bike ran fine for one day. The bike sat for a couple weeks after that, now the bike wont start. The starter turns the engine over, but there is no fire at the plugs. It has a two post screamin eagle coil. I tested for 12v, it has 12v on both posts of the coil. Should it have 12v on both posts? I have seen the ignition system test in this forum, and it says the post with the wire coming from the ignition module does not have 12v.

1989 FXR no fire to plugs. Replaced the sensor in the nose cone, bike ran fine for one day. The bike sat for a couple weeks after that, now the bike wont start. The starter turns the engine over, but there is no fire at the plugs. It has a two post screamin eagle coil. I tested for 12v, it has 12v on both posts of the coil. Should it have 12v on both posts? I have seen the ignition system test in this forum, and it says the post with the wire coming from the ignition module does not have 12v.

May be a Bad Cam sensor and staying on the FIRE position. OR a short in the system that gives power to the coils.. Recheck the hook-up of the cam sensor.

I'm JUST Guessing here..

Maybe Hoople will come along and give you some GOLD.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Yea, Hoople is the man. He's helped me figure out problems before. The shop that changed the cam sensor cut the plug off of the new cam sensor and soldered the wires going to the ignition module. I'm not sure why they did that, but they appear to be good connections and wired properly.

Yea, Hoople is the man. He's helped me figure out problems before. The shop that changed the cam sensor cut the plug off of the new cam sensor and soldered the wires going to the ignition module. I'm not sure why they did that, but they appear to be good connections and wired properly.

It is the Easy way out,,, the cam and crank sensors were a bugger on my 00 FXDS and also on the 97 FXDS.

I never liked to Cut and Paste method but I guess it is ????

Did they charge FULL labor for the install???

The book labor takes IN the fact that they Remove from the harnes and insert like Original was.. Fishing wires thru....Cut and splice is faster...

Not on my bike.:small3d031:

signed....BUBBIE

I'm sure it was just easier for them to cut the wires, but who wants a chopped up wiring harness? Of course they charged full price.

The early cam sensing plate set up works like a points system. If the points were open the you had 12v on both sides of the coil,when they closed then the 12v went to ground and you would loose your 12v.I would suggest rotating the motor over by hand and see if the 12v drops off & on as the motor rotates.There has to be pulsing of the 12v. to make the coil fire the plugs as the field of the coil builds & falls off.
tourbox

Back