free website stats program 1989 FLTC Voltage Drop / No Start / No Spark, Help? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1989 FLTC Voltage Drop / No Start / No Spark, Help?

NEWHD74FAN:

No worries, and thanks for the comments. I'll tell you this particular problem drove me to the limit. I "knew" in my gut it had something to do with the ignition module or the coil - I just couldn't prove it. There was so much else going on. Even if I could though, I don't know I would have trusted my own judgement. Although I hate spending the money and it kicks me in the pride, I am glad I finally took it to someone else who knew what they were doing. As the old saying goes, It's not always knowing the answer, it's knowing where (or in whom) to find it.

I was not aware of the issues that can arise from the mixing of the after market Dyna with the stock coil. I'll tell you, there is always something new to learn. That little bit of information made all the difference.

I keep threatening (or is that promising) myself that one of these days I'm going to strip this bike down to its bones and discover everything the previous owners have done to this thing. I love old bikes, I really do, but buying used is always such a gamble. Problem is, I don't think I'd want to be without the bike that long!

She's a needy, grumbling, temperamental old thing, but she's my needy, grumbling, temperamental old thing.

As far as taking notes from RichardS, believe me, I've been this prolix long before joining the site. I think it's a curse often saddled on us academics and technical types. Publish or perish, they say.

I've found when describing a situation it's better to provide all the information you have in as clear a way as you know how upfront. Something you might think is not relevant might just be the key to solving the mystery to someone else.

I can't agree with what you said more. Having the right information, making an appropriate plan, following the instructions, and taking your time to do it right are truly the hallmarks of good workmanship.

Back