free website stats program 1989 evo sat 7 years with oil in... | Harley Davidson Forums

1989 evo sat 7 years with oil in...

jgabriel

Yup.... pretty dumb, I suppose, but sometimes we get to where we're moving around just a bit too much. I had to leave my scooter ('89 FXLR) behind, but we're back together now, and I want to ride it!!! I wondered if there was anything (short of taking the engine apart) people could recommend to counter the sludge build-up problem when I get the carb cleaned out and ready to fire up again.... crankcase cleaners?... multiple changes over the first 1000 miles??.... ??

I looked through the "tips" section, but could not find this. Many thanks in advance.
John

A good drain and refill with a new filter and some Marvel Mystery oil will clean it out. I would short the oil about a pint and replace that pint with the MMO when refilling it. Shouldn't be an excessive build up from sitting just settled what was in there to begin with.

Run it a couple of hundred miles with the MMO and dump it again after getting it hot and replace the filter again. You should be OK. Do a good cleaning job on the carb and check the inside of the tank too. You may want to remove it and clean it out.

I would clean out the tappet screen as well.
Search "tappet screen" and you'll be good to go. Lots of info.

And brake fluid, brakes themselves, cables free? Almost worth doing a 1000 mile checkup just to sure.
wilks3
:USA

My Sportster sat 10 years, I even put an ounce of MMO in the first tank of gas. One thing that I missed was I had lost prime on the oil pump and it got pretty hot on me. I started going say ¼ mile , ½ mile slowly increasing until I got to the 7 mile ride and that is when the over-heating showed up. Burped the oil cooler and we been good ever since

=================================================

Should add that I did have to replace the front rocker box gasket, Moderater merge at will

Last edited by a moderator:
MMO or Kerosene to flush out the oil tank. I would check the condition of the pushrod tube gaskets just because:s Check or replace the fuel line and tank strainer

My Sportster sat 10 years, I even put an ounce of MMO in the first tank of gas. One thing that I missed was I had lost prime on the oil pump and it got pretty hot on me. I started going say ¼ mile , ½ mile slowly increasing until I got to the 7 mile ride and that is when the over-heating showed up. Burped the oil cooler and we been good ever since

Good call here, above....... Suggest maybe turning over the motor with plugs out , VIA rear tire, in 5th gear would be good to get the oil pump and Pump lube INTO the dried out parts Before the start-up.

signed....BUBBIE

Wow! Thank you all very much! Sounds like MMO is the way to go for the engine sludge issue. The other tips are plenty to digest for now - but all are very good advice given the condition of the bike. I've saved all these notes a text file.

I'll be back in a few weeks when I've gotten through all this. No doubt have some more questions, but hopefully on the more refined end of getting it tuned for a run.
Best,
John

Back