free website stats program 1988 FLTC no click no crank issue = no start (I'm a novice)) | Harley Davidson Forums

1988 FLTC no click no crank issue = no start (I'm a novice))

OBX NC

Compared to other bikes the machine has consistently had a weak but reliable crank. Machines been non-functional for near a month. battery replaced twice, new expensive +$150 battery. Battery good. Wires from battery (both + & -) replaced, solenoid replaced, module on side of oil tank tested good so did wires, checked with spare module( or is it a fuse box). connections all along the electrical system have been checked and cleaned. Grounds to the frame have been checked and cleaned. :cry bike shows no improvement. starter was removed and tested great, dissembled, looked good on the inside. multiple both the old wire leading from the former battery to the solenoid have been checked. Neither the new nor the old wires are transmitting more than 8.6 v to solenoid. Expensive battery reads8.6v, cheap battery reads 8.1v to solenoid. Bike will not start when jump is done to bypass the solenoid. This bike has me, two tinkers one self taught gear head and a semi-aged professorially trained motorcycle mechanic stumped.

P.S. machine will on occasion start when jumped from a truck, most of the time it will not. Has not started or clicked in 8 days. Dash lights function as before issue.

Please keep responses short or capitalize important info, this blog will be viewed by 2 of the 4 people helping me with this machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked the starter relay? It's a small & 1" square, with a tab bolted under the left (I think) side cover. You can take the solenoid cover off, and jump across the poles to eliminate the relay. If jumper works and button doesn't, it's probably the relay. And there's always the intermittent functioning button on the handlebar, or worn ignition switch.

Is the 8.1 volts while cranking? Whats the voltage at the battery? Whats the voltage at the positive wire on the solenoid to the motor ground? Whats the voltage at the positive wire on the solenoid to negative terminal of the battery?

You can also take a jumper wire, at least 14ga. preferred, from the positive side of battery directly to the small starter solenoid wire. This eliminates the start button and relay at the same time. Even with the key off the bike should turn over. Just curiosity, what brand of battery is the new one. Also the CCA of it.
tourbox

If the battery has 8.6 volts you either have a bad battery, a bad meter or a power drain. Double check your meter against a know source voltage, or do your checks with another meter,

I would try what the others have suggested also.

I guess one of the four that weren't the two viewing the blog, figured it out......

Drives me nuts (not a very far trip) when the OP posts a problem but never posts his/her results!!!

I guess we'll never know if the advice given helped.

Back