free website stats program 1985 fxstc tech needed , your opinions please, | Harley Davidson Forums

1985 fxstc tech needed , your opinions please,

ron1978

well last year my dad had issues carb leaking fuel and air and replaced it with new one, so after that he went through and replaced coil, points condenser, and plugs, and fuel filter, after all that was done ,he drove it around 1 0r 2 times before the temps dropped around here into the teens, so after he got it back out i was hooking his battery tender up when i saw his battery ground lug broke off laying to the side no hooked up, so i asked him you know your battery grounds broke, so it was getting its ground throught the seat and bolts and etc. so we put a new battery ground back on bike, now the bike will run for 3 miles and start to act up like popping and missing, almost can't get it back home, the other day we noticed same thing, it started at the same 3 miles, ,, crank it cold motor and it runs like a new one, motor heats up hot and it starts to run like garbage under acceleration.
popping sounds and lack of power. so this is what were thinking, i asked this awhile back and someone said it could have ruined the coil due to resistance issues with battery ground, or a bad condenser???

we changed plugs tonight, same thing popping,
changed fuel filter, still popping,

so after the motor gets about 3 miles on it ,something is heating up and causing trouble?? please opinions??? any will help

well last year my dad had issues carb leaking fuel and air and replaced it with new one, so after that he went through and replaced coil, points condenser, and plugs, and fuel filter, after all that was done ,he drove it around 1 0r 2 times before the temps dropped around here into the teens, so after he got it back out i was hooking his battery tender up when i saw his battery ground lug broke off laying to the side no hooked up, so i asked him you know your battery grounds broke, so it was getting its ground throught the seat and bolts and etc. so we put a new battery ground back on bike, now the bike will run for 3 miles and start to act up like popping and missing, almost can't get it back home, the other day we noticed same thing, it started at the same 3 miles, ,, crank it cold motor and it runs like a new one, motor heats up hot and it starts to run like garbage under acceleration.
popping sounds and lack of power. so this is what were thinking, i asked this awhile back and someone said it could have ruined the coil due to resistance issues with battery ground, or a bad condenser???

we changed plugs tonight, same thing popping,
changed fuel filter, still popping,

so after the motor gets about 3 miles on it ,something is heating up and causing trouble?? please opinions??? any will help

Have you checked the ohms,volts and amps? How is the battery? Have you checked for any exhaust leaks? Check the output on your stator.

we have no exhaust leaks, the battery got changed out when the broke lug was discoverd, as for the ohms, volt and such not yet. he cut his hand tonight on something on it and called it a night.

Do you have points in it or electronic ignition, is it a 1985? Are you running a AGM sealed battery in it?

The reason I asked about the battery is I have seen a couple of them, one in my own bike that would make the bike sound like the timing jumped and barely run, shut it down, bike would run fine for a few then happen again but if it did it before & after you changed battery that's out. I have seen coils throw spark around after heating up, why did you change the coil before, do you still have it around, maybe try the old coil, also plug wires. If you have your old condenser you could try reinstalling that, just to rule it out. How about gas, sounds like the problem started after taking out of storage. Im sure you have, but go over any and all wires for a loose connection, I would check the wire connecting to the points also. When you're running it and it acts up try unpluging the stator in case of a internal short. How about the breaker, have seen them act up with heat and maybe the bad ground could have damaged it before? OK I'm shooting in the dark and just throwing things out there. If I can think of anything else I'll throw it out their. happy hunting

thanks , we'll check alot of the above. we talked alittle more tonight on facebook and he thinks it all has to do with the condenser or coil. both would show signs of failure when heated, i asked him to try it tuesday cold start to see if it'll repeat it self again.

update : dad changed everything he knew to do, coil, points, plug wires, condenser, drained gas, new fuel filter, new plugs, still ran like (EDIT), so for the third and final time, he removed the carb cleaned it again, put it all back together, like magic it was fixed, he some how had little trash in carb that finally broke loose, the bike runs like a champ now,
thanks for the opinions.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back