free website stats program 1985 FLTC side covers | Harley Davidson Forums

1985 FLTC side covers

Vibratinharley

I need some help finding rubber grommet that fits in right side cover where it goes over oil fill. I can't seem to locate this part anywhere or any info on it. Also, the rubber grommets that go between the plastic dash halves and handlebars. I want to replace all the rubber grommets and pieces that go with both side covers. ANy ideas? Worst part is that the bike came with them missing so I can't even take them somewhere to match them up. The HD parts counter guy couldnt even find the side covers in the parts book. Is it really that hard to get these kind of parts for a 25 year old bike?

Thank you for this cool link. They have everything I want seemingly available now just waiting to hear back from them. Kind of interesting ordering process. I send them an email request and then they get back to me? I guess they have to check their inventory. Anyway, I was lost in regards to where to get this stuff and you were a real big help so Thank you very much!

After getting in touch with NOS I was able to get most of the rubber grommets I needed except for the most important one ( part # 11436) which goes in top of the right side cover where the oil tank fill fits through.This grommet is not only obsolete from HD but this company has also run out of their stock of them. I don't know what to do now except to keep searching online and at bike parts flea markets and hopefully I can come across a new or even a used one as I dont even have one to compare with. I guess sometimes it is harder having a bike that is 25 years old when it comes to stuff like this... Making the simple things such a project. Oh what fun!:small3d007:

I used plastic door moulding on the same cover for my 85 that I picked up at Autozone. One of the fun things on a older bike is improvising with out of the box solutions. I feel much more comfortable doing that with a $5000 bike as opposed to a $20000+ bike - Bob

I used plastic door moulding on the same cover for my 85 that I picked up at Autozone. One of the fun things on a older bike is improvising with out of the box solutions. I feel much more comfortable doing that with a $5000 bike as opposed to a $20000+ bike - Bob

Yeah Bob, I like your way of thinking. I actually bought a new Ultra Classic in 2008 and invested about 30,000 (including price of bike) making it the way I wanted and I hated it. I actually like this OLDER Unique bike and its interesting features and your right about being more comfortable improvising on less expensive bike but I am the kind of person who spends way to much time making it "perfect" as it's just the way I am. Lots of time into detail. In fact, if is wasn't for me wanting it to be just right, It would be done now and I would be out riding it.. Time to go shopping for some moulding.........

After getting in touch with NOS I was able to get most of the rubber grommets I needed except for the most important one ( part # 11436) which goes in top of the right side cover where the oil tank fill fits through.This grommet is not only obsolete from HD but this company has also run out of their stock of them. I don't know what to do now except to keep searching online and at bike parts flea markets and hopefully I can come across a new or even a used one as I dont even have one to compare with. I guess sometimes it is harder having a bike that is 25 years old when it comes to stuff like this... Making the simple things such a project. Oh what fun!:small3d007:

Look up harbor freight. Ill bet they have an assorted box of grommets just like they do have assorted box of "o" rings. Lowes and servi-star hardware will more than likely have what you need. They have assorted grommets as well. Also, the rubber "U" channel. Know as trim Panel edging will also work. Just have to cut it nicely and glue it on. PT# 61648-85.

zoood

IMO one of the first parts you should purchase is the parts book for your bike. After that the factory service manual. The book has its own parts number. It gives a good breakdown of how things go togeather and it gives you the part numbers for everything. The part numbers are great even if you just walk into the dealer or call first to see if its in stock.

If you go to Google and pick the Shopping option
Google Product Search you can plug the part number in and you will often get hits. It defaults to Relevant in the Sort so click on Lowest first if you are like me and want to get the best deal. I also check out Ebay for Sellers who have the Highest % of positive feedback - Bob

IMO one of the first parts you should purchase is the parts book for your bike. After that the factory service manual. The book has its own parts number. It gives a good breakdown of how things go togeather and it gives you the part numbers for everything. The part numbers are great even if you just walk into the dealer or call first to see if its in stock.

If you go to Google and pick the Shopping option
Google Product Search you can plug the part number in and you will often get hits. It defaults to Relevant in the Sort so click on Lowest first if you are like me and want to get the best deal. I also check out Ebay for Sellers who have the Highest % of positive feedback - Bob

I have service manual, parts manual, original owners manual too! Parts manual is great for the part #'s and location but these things I need are obsolete and even NOS was out of them. By the way, I love studying the parts books and looking up stuff just to see " if it broke, could I still get it?"

Back