free website stats program 1984 Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

1984 Sportster

I am looking at a 1984 Sportster is there any problems with these bikes an what should I look for? I currently have a 94 Electra Glide an might be trading it off to have some work done on a antique car I have an looking to trade for this bike an buy another touring bike later on.

I am looking at a 1984 Sportster is there any problems with these bikes an what should I look for? I currently have a 94 Electra Glide an might be trading it off to have some work done on a antique car I have an looking to trade for this bike an buy another touring bike later on.

In My opinion, people are not standing in line to buy Ironhead Sportsters. Those that want one usually won't pay more than $3,500. Sportsters of that age are prone to having been abused with lots of home grown repairs and mis-matched parts.

Here is the Vin # 1HD1CCH39EY114971 for the Sportster I am looking at. Can anybody decode this Vin # an tell me something bout this bike? An how much are these bikes worth?

Here is the Vin # 1HD1CCH39EY114971 for the Sportster I am looking at. Can anybody decode this Vin # an tell me something bout this bike? An how much are these bikes worth?

Motorcycle Values - Kelley Blue Book

KBB states for an '84 XLH 1000 retail is $3075. Trade in much less. That is if its in excellent condition. Breeze is correct in how a lot of old Sporties were treated and worked on.

1HD1CCH39EY114971

1= made in USA / HD= Harley Davidson / 1= 900 cc or larger / C= XL /
C= XL/ H =1000cc 55hp / 3= California / 9= check digit* / E =1984 / Y =York / 114971 = sequential serial #

*check digit is a formula factory uses to verify vin#, example if your check digit is 9, the serial number has to be some combination of 114971.

Non rubber mount chain drive 4 speed 883 good starter bike if you can get it for a good price It will vibrate

Well I got a 94 Electra Glide Classic 1340cc I am using for a starter bike an i am 5'7 160lbs. I got a guy who is look to do some work to my 64 Thunderbird Landau for the bike the car needs both rear quarters done fix under roof replace vinyl roof an paint. I am going to see if he wants to do the car for the bike an me get something like this Sportster to learn to ride on the street with then later get like a Ex Police bike or something like that cheap an fix it while I am riding this Sportster then go back to a touring bike. That way I would have some time to get use to riding a bike on the street an this Sportster would be easier to learn on than the Electra Glide.

When did Harley do away with the kick start an go electric start on the bikes? Is it just the touring bikes that have the electric start an the Sportsters an them still have the kick start?

Back