free website stats program 1984 FXRSDG shuts down | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

1984 FXRSDG shuts down

Ok-So back to drawing 18. I drill out the rivets, remove plate 2,4, and gasket 5. Do I need to remove plate 8 for the test?

Re-read entry point #21 of this thread. The test is performed with the engine running.

I understand where you are at Paul. When I was 26 years old, I only had 1 thing on my mind also..:p

Sorry to push in and ask a daft question of you Jack as i have never touched an hd with points i just assumed that the bob weights of the advance and retard unit would have gone furthest in on the shaft and the points backplate would be next on

Brian

Sorry to push in and ask a daft question of you Jack as i have never touched an hd with points i just assumed that the bob weights of the advance and retard unit would have gone furthest in on the shaft and the points backplate would be next on

Brian

That is correct , the point plate is the same place the electronic ignition is, the advance mechanism has been known to shear also

Thanks Jack perhaps one day ill get my hands on an older hd and reawaken some of the old skills

Brian

Thanks Jack perhaps one day ill get my hands on an older hd and reawaken some of the old skills

Brian

Brian, pretty simple to fix, throw a set of points and condensor in and you have spark, some times the advance units go bad or you can change the springs but very simple idea:s

So Jack are you saying the spark advance in this case is centrifigal weights under that plate?

Yep, now you got it, and the plate is adjustable for timing, but it is dual fire only unless you set up with 2 coils and well dont go there now:s

Think I now understand the nose replaced the points. So just to get this straight. I remove plates 2 & 4, and also #5 gasket. I LEAVE the sensor plate attached along with the connector wire.

Start the bike cold, and hit the sensor plate w/dryer and see if it breaks down.

I assume the heat will transfer "through" the plate?

And how long do you guess this should take? A few min or as in a ride, 15-30 min?

I understand where you are at Paul. When I was 26 years old, I only had 1 thing on my mind also..

Try 52 almost 53. Had a long life, and don't want to go back. LOL

Back