free website stats program 1984 FXRSDG shuts down | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

1984 FXRSDG shuts down

All right, progress.

By nose cone I assume you mean coil?

I assume I can remove the red light for these tests?

And if it's not the coil, shoot the module w/heat.

Got it. So to wrap my mind around this the assumption is the internal wiring in one of these 2 components gets hot, shorts on another wire internally on the component, and causes the break down?

I would think once the internal wires get fried and solder themselves together, it would run like (EDIT) ALL the time, but of course, I'm obviously not the expert here.

Going to rain tomorrow (I'm in Maryland) so me doubts I'll get anything else done this weekend. Thanks again guys.
Paul

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Nose cone is where the ignition pick up is right side of bike

but of course, I'm obviously not the expert here.

Trust me, I am not either because I have only owned a Harley for 1 year and it is a late model one so we are in the same boat.

See the picture you uploaded. The Trigger unit is #8. The trigger unit (#8) has some electronics on it along with several solder joints that must be "tested" with some heat. The ignition module does not look like much but there is a city of electronics in it. Integrated circuits are cities within themselves.
Thermal intermittent problems are very common to PCB boards like what we have here.

Remember these tests are not "proof positive" but they are all we have available to us at the moment. I don't know what those parts retail for or if your at the point where money is no object and you just want the bike fixed.

You really did not say if you wanted to fix your bike using the time consuming inexpensive way or the quick expensive way.:p

Sorry.

Still not sure what the nose cone is?

My pics end in 800 #'s so not sure which is 8. I'm calling it a coil but is it pic 894?

The one where the spark plug wires hook up?

So to get this straight. Start the bike cold and after taking the choke off hold a hair dryer close to the coil and see if it chokes. How long?

After that, move to the ignition module. Same amount of time above?

Thanks

Oh, since we are close enough to winter, and they had the bike for a month to fix the fuel plastic cap whatever and never checked anything else, I prefer to fix this myself. I looked at the madule and the coil, and those puppies aren't cheap. Saw a used module for 70 bucks on Ebay, so might bookmark it just in case.

Go to entry point 18 of this thread. View your thumbnail picture. Item #8 (called a sensor plate) in that picture is your trigger unit that is mounted in the nose cone.

Got it. So it sounds like I have to drill out those 2 rivets to get @ that nose cone? If so, I'll have to find those rivets somewhere. Says don't use a standard rivet with a tit on the end.

It does look like #1 is a rivet.

Well heat the module 1st and see what happens.

I am really surprised that rivets were used for that nose cone cover. Drilling out rivets to get at a electronic senor plate does seem strange to me but that's what it looks like from the picture. There is a question I wish I had the answers to. Item #10 (rotor) looks to be either a led-photocell chopper or magnetic reluctance. It could be either from the window design it shows. Does the manual talk about the topology that is used?

If that crankshaft oil seal (#11) was leaking at all, it would really mess things up if it was photocell. I am guessing it must be reluctance for better reliability.

Ignition modules, coils and trigger plates can easily take 200* F by design so a hair dryer (not heat gun) should be no match for those items. You can also tap on them with the handle end of a screwdriver. Subject it to what it normally sees (vibration/heat) while on the bike. Try heating up the coil also. If you get each one up to, and beyond operating temps and you see no response you will have to open up that nose cone to get at that sensor plate.

**Like I said, this work may be a waste of time but from where I am (no touch, no see, no smell, no hear) it sure does appear to be ignition related. If I could ride the bike, I could be more positive about what it was... but I think your on a good path.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to take those rivets out unless I have to. The casing is so thick, I doubt a hair dryer will get the housing or the plate hot enough. That said, any harm (or logical sense) with heating the coil 1st, move to the ignition module 2nd, and finish w/the nose cone?

I see no mention in detail about the rotor.

If that crankshaft oil seal (#11) was leaking at all.

If that were the case me thinks I would see oil or substance running out the cover or somewhere, and I don't.

**Like I said, this work may be a waste of time but from where I am (no touch, no see, no smell, no hear) it sure does appear to be ignition related. If I could ride the bike, I could be more positive about what it was... but I think your on a good path.

I'd be happy to stick in in an envelope and mail it to you. LOL

Attachments

• rivets.jpg
    rivets.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 8
  • ignition1.jpg
    ignition1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 6
  • ignition2.jpg
    ignition2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 6
  • ignition3.jpg
    ignition3.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 6
  • ignition4.jpg
    ignition4.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 6
I hate to take those rivets out unless I have to. The casing is so thick, I doubt a hair dryer will get the housing or the plate hot enough. That said, any harm (or logical sense) with heating the coil 1st, move to the ignition module 2nd, and finish w/the nose cone?

I see no mention in detail about the rotor.

If that crankshaft oil seal (#11) was leaking at all.

If that were the case me thinks I would see oil or substance running out the cover or somewhere, and I don't.

I'd be happy to stick in in an envelope and mail it to you. LOL
If you dont want to remove the rivets, probe the wires going into the cone to see if you have constant power, may even use the light bulb test here and get the same results if it is breaking down under load or heat you will find out for sure

Hope I figure this out soon. Found both the ignition mod & Coil on Ebay cheap.

1984 HARLEY DAVIDSON FXR COIL & WIRES: eBay Motors (item 220626038596 end time Sep-19-10 13:35:53 PDT)
I think a new one is about 200

HARLEY EVO all BT models electronic ign. module '84-'87: eBay Motors (item 160477161270 end time Oct-04-10 22:28:03 PDT)
I believe this is frpm 250-400

Good idea jack. I do have a tester light w/a point. Again, hoping to find an issue w/the coil or ign mod so I don't have to mess w/those rivets.

Thanks again to everyone here. Really learning a lot.
Paul

Back