free website stats program 1984 ftc | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1984 ftc

Breeze, Tour and Jack,

Awesome, thanks for the info. I was wondering about the technique for possibly juggling the motor for clearance, thanks for that. And the ratcheting tool for the LR rocker box bolt. I would like to keep all the same so that would make it easy to keep the original hex key type bolts.
As mentioned about the as long as I am in there thing, I plan to go all the way to the case and replace all gaskets. It only has 900 miles on the top end rebuild, .060 over new pistons rings wrist pins etc. new 512 cam, so all should be good, But besides loose bolts or obvious failures is there anything in there I should look at for evidence of something else not put together correctly. I mean the head gasket blew out after 1 year / 900 miles...so...I am just saying!
I will be looking at the valve seats, valves, rocker assy general, anything in there to look for?
I appreciate the help and if you think of anything else do not hesitate to post!
Again Thanks!
VonZipper

When you change your Cam put in a new Torrington Inner cam bearing. Check your breather gear for wear. If it has to be replaced then recheck it's spacing. Also check your spacing on the new cam. Some EVO specks say up to .050 end play for the Cam. I usually set them up at .010-.015. I don't like that much play. Good idea on all new gaskets because once you remove the heads, the Base gaskets loose their torque also and need replacing. I believe there is a Length Spec. on the Cylinder studs. Watch your Torque specks on the Heads & Rocker Boxes. Jack posted a good link for the Heads.
tourbox

VonZ: The biggest reason for head and/or base gasket failures on any Harley Evolution engine is not letting the engine get up to FULL operating temperature before twisting the throttle hard. The big aluminum jugs need to "grow" with heat to achieve the proper clamping pressures to seal the gaskets. That's why the head bolt torque sequence is unusual. Your questions and concerns have me believing that you will do just fine. Keep asking questions, it makes us remember little things.

Back