free website stats program 1984 ftc | Harley Davidson Forums

1984 ftc

VonZipper

Yo All,
I am new memeber and also new owner of 1984 FTC. That is the model number on the title. Not sure how to establish the rest of the designations in order to get the manuals parts etc. Previous owner said it is early 1984 with Shovel Bottom and 2nd Generation EVO heads? Has a 5 Speed Transmission The fairing has two headlights and the turn indicator bars and says Classic. It has the saddlebags and the trunk.
I blew a head gasket on the front cylinder aft side middle and it looks like the rear cylinder has a leak Fwd side Middle)
Question: I was told I could pull the rocker boxes heads and jugs without removing the engine from the frame. Is this possible? The top of the rear rocker box looks pretty close to the frame.
Second Has a Mikuni Carb and prior to blowing the gasket it would pop a little on accelleration and also popping a lot on deceleration? Tming? Carb? Exhaust Leak. Any help would be much appreciated.

VonZipper of Marin

I've never heard of a Shovel bottom end with 2nd generation Evo heads from the factory. Cylinders and heads for a shovel bolt entirely different than an Evo. Are your rocker boxes U shaped or 3 piece square? Yes, either shovel or Evo top end can be pulled without pulling the engine from the frame. Different tecnique for each though.
tourbox

Adding a little to Tourbox's above info. With 2 headlights in a frame mount fairing, it's a FLTC Classic Tour Glide. It should have belt final drive. There MAY have been a few Shovelhead engines in the very earliest models. There's many possibilities for accel/decel pop, mostly air leak on intake and/or exh. Get new gaskets installed and we'll help you get rid of the pop.
Forgot, Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Welcome to The Forum, your bike came with a shovel and late models may have had an Evo motor, What do the rocker covers look like? Are the cylinders bolted directly to the crank case? Harley VIN Identification This may shed some light

Last edited by a moderator:
All,
Thanks for the welcome and the info. It has EVO heads sooo...

As for the "technique" for removing the heads and jugs insitu other than access and needing a modified hexkey for the rear cylinder, LH Rear bolt...what do I need to know?

Guess a little background info would help. I am a fairly compentent mechanic, just have never worked on an EVO motor. I rebuilt my Knuckle in 1980 and rode it without any problems till I had to sell in 84. Rode a variety of rice grinders here and there since. (no time or money for the HD)

Any tips and tricks for getting this apart re gasketed and running again are very much appreciated.

I looked at the intake manifold and connections and they appeared OK there was a crack in the weld of the exhaust tube at the "Y" and noted black soot at the area the head gasket let go but so far no obviuos cause of the popping I am thinking timing but will re check that once it gets back together.

Any preferences for the gasket material/maker? Recomendations for fluids, and any other helpful experiences are appreciated

Harley Davidson Community Here is a link to the torque for the heads and rocker boxes for Evo motors, use it for untorquing the heads as well, when you reassemble the heads a dab of oil under the head bolts before torquing:D

All,
Thanks for the welcome and the info. It has EVO heads sooo...

As for the "technique" for removing the heads and jugs insitu other than access and needing a modified hexkey for the rear cylinder, LH Rear bolt...what do I need to know?

Guess a little background info would help. I am a fairly compentent mechanic, just have never worked on an EVO motor. I rebuilt my Knuckle in 1980 and rode it without any problems till I had to sell in 84. Rode a variety of rice grinders here and there since. (no time or money for the HD)

Any tips and tricks for getting this apart re gasketed and running again are very much appreciated.

I looked at the intake manifold and connections and they appeared OK there was a crack in the weld of the exhaust tube at the "Y" and noted black soot at the area the head gasket let go but so far no obviuos cause of the popping I am thinking timing but will re check that once it gets back together.

Any preferences for the gasket material/maker? Recomendations for fluids, and any other helpful experiences are appreciated

I use a ground down allen wrench for the L.R. rocker box, and replace the allen bolt with a hex. Some model rocker boxes come right out, some don't. If yours don't have clearance, removing the front rubber motor mount and letting the engine tilt forward will give you clearance. Loosely install and align intake manifold BEFORE tightening heads. The rocker boxes and gasket surfaces are very narrow, no wiggling allowed when reassembling. Sometimes the "Y" pipe can be welded, sometimes it's too thin and brittle. Ebay may help find a repl. Do some GOOGLE searches related to your task, there's lots of tips. I won't recommend gaskets or oils, there's too many good brands. But I will recommend you don't buy cheap. As long as you'r in there, inspect your lifters. Gosh, I just keep thinking of stuff............

HD p/n94057--09 @ $34.95 is a Rocker box tool that ratchets. Motion Pro also makes one but does not ratchet, cheaper in cost.
tourbox

If you remove the cylinders make sure to check the case studs are tight before reassembly, check the deck for fractures also

Back