free website stats program 1984 flt EVO speedo probs | Harley Davidson Forums

1984 flt EVO speedo probs

fishkiller

Having a speedo problem on my FLT. Bought differnt mod and still dose,nt work. New sending unit at front wheel and new cable. I have spun the cable at the wheel and the speedo jumps but reconnect and it won't work. I'm buffuloed some body help me. Thanks Fishkiller

welcome from south bend in. a thought when u install new wheel sender finger went in notch on hub, ithink it has 2 holes.i did not get mine in 1st time ....

welcome from south bend in. a thought when u install new wheel sender finger went in notch on hub, ithink it has 2 holes.i did not get mine in 1st time ....
thanks for the thought. Are u sayin the cab;e may have not seated properly on the wheel sending unit?

thats a check to. but there is a finger that sits down in 1 of 2 holes from sender whitch follows rotation of wheel / hub. when u put tire on pass axel through hub bearings sender goes over axel if finger is not in small hole of hub cable will not turn. do not forget the felt washer 1st under sender. then spin wheel foward watch cable at top should rotate. also pull out cable from top not broken or fraed.

As mentioned above, there is a tab on the sending unit that needs to fit into a hole in the brake rotor. See here:

FRONT WHEEL - 1984 Harley Davidson FLTC

#114 shows the tab on the sending unit. If that is gone (like broken off or straightened), you make need another new sending unit.

When putting the cable on, I like to take the flex drive cable out of the jacket and mount the jacket to the sending unit. Then feed the flex cable into the jacket from the speedometer end turning it slightly as you insert it. You will "feel" it meet and enter the sending unit. Poke the other end in the speedometer tighten up the keeper, and voila!

TQ

Back