free website stats program 1983 Roadster XLS clutch slipping | Harley Davidson Forums

1983 Roadster XLS clutch slipping

alto

Try as I did, I cannot find a listing for a complete clutch assembly for the 83 roadster ( 1000 XLS). The bike has about 16 K original miles and was always driven gently. It did sit idle for 15 years. put back on the road two years ago and now, the clutch is slipping. Local Indy shop suggested just fiber plates.? By the manual, I did a clutch adjustment today but can't test it until later ( bike locked ..it's my old bike and I gave it over to my son in law to use) I'm just trying to find a retail ( approximate) price for a new, complete clutch assembly and can't ( even on the Harley Davidson site, Kirk, JP, etc).
I'm not a mechanic but have spun wrenches on things over my 60 years. Is changing a clutch something that should be attempted by a semi-mechanic at best. Sorry if I missed info during my searches.
In short, does anyone know the ball park figure for a complete clutch assembly and, the difficulty of changing it? Thank you for any info.

Alto; My OLD J&P catalog lists Part #620-421 as Barnett kit, 8 friction plates and 6 springs for '71- early '84 XL's. The 2004 (told you it was an old book) price was $102. Part #620-548 is CC Ryder brand 8 friction discs. only, $50. You can probably find todays prices with those numbers. You should mic. the steel drive plates to make sure they are in spec., Unless blued and warped they are pretty tough. R&R of a clutch assembly is easy. Proper adjustment of the clutch pack is the key. There has been variations, and I don't know the spec. for yours.

Last edited:
Thank you Breeze3at. I will go to JP and search the # you offered. I appreciate the help of the responses. As I said, I'm not a mechanic by any means but, I have some mechanical abilities . While reading the manual, I adjusted the clutch and will know later today if this helped. If not, I'll drain the fluid, remove the cover, stare at it all for an eternity , then, have at it. I was not hip to JP /site and will go there now.
Thanks again.

Back