free website stats program 1981 Ironhead smoke and oil leak problems! | Harley Davidson Forums

1981 Ironhead smoke and oil leak problems!

pimpdaddyhd

I have an 81 sporty. It has 1.75" drag pipes and an s&s super E carb with s&s air cleaner. When I give the bike gas it puffs rich smelling black exhaust. I've adjusted and adjusted the carb but can't get rid of the problem. What would cause this?

Also since I've owned the bike it's been spraying oil all over the back tire and back brake. I replaced the mainshaft in the tranny. I've replaced the front drive gear oil seal 3 times, and nothing helps. And it always marks its territory where ever I stop. What would cause this?

Does your Sporty have a chain oiler. My 73 was covered in oil and dirt when I bought it. After I cleaned it up and blocked off the oiler I used chain oil. That at least stopped one oil leak.

You need to drop down your jets one size and ck your rear cyl for a base gasket leak but the previous guy was right the chain oiler should be blocked off ,jel

The carb? could be old gas (sitting all winter?) The oil? could be drive chain oiler (old HDs are suppose to do that) oiling the chain.

Did you pull the plugs to see if both cylinders are running rich? Also may want to check the air filter (any oil and gas clogging the works there?), carb jets, needle height and make sure nothing gumming up the works due to winter storage.

And yes, that drive chain oiler gave all Harleys a bad rap and was a bone of contention for many years...

Back