free website stats program 1972 mid star wheel hub offset question. | Harley Davidson Forums

1972 mid star wheel hub offset question.

Denali

Putting a new 1972 mid star hub wheel w/disk brake into 84-99 wide glide front end, the wheel hub has not been offset, so the wheel in not centered in the forks. Question: should I have the wheel hub re -aligned with the factory offset and would it work in the 84/99 forks -or -axel shim the wheel to the center along with shims to align the rotor. Opinions and experiences please. Also, does anyone have the manual that gives the factory offset of the hub they could post?
Thanks

I would leave the hub as is. Space the wheel with new axle spacers to get it centered. Then go with rotor spacers to get the caliper to line up with the rotor. If you check in the OEM parts book for the years of the front end then you may be able to get the proper spacers for that front end. Is this a 21" front you're putting on? I forget why the factory had an offset,maybe someone can remind me? I'll check some old manuals to see if I can find the amount.
tourbox

It's a 16" wheel, 1972 was the last yr for the mid star hub & first yr for the disk brake in front. I bought a pair of mid star wheels new w/stainless spokes off ebay very cheap, only needed the rear, as I am using a drum brake on this project. But since they match & they are good looking wheels, I decided to try to adapt the star hub to the newer wide glide. Not sure why they off set the hub? I'll be getting the caliper & rotor in a few weeks. When I mock them up for fit, I think I should be able to determine which direction to procede. Thanks for the reply.

Back