free website stats program 1966 brake adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

1966 brake adjustment

MGRUMPY1

Howdy Folks, I am trying to figure out how to adjust the rear brakes on my 1966 FLH. Any help is welcome.

:small3d038:

First thing to check will be the linkage at the rear master cylinder, this will set the free travel as well as the drag at the rear wheel, there is no mechanical adjustment on rear drum juice brakes, Jack the bike up spin the wheel and aply the brake does it hold? Check for leaks? Welcome to the Forum:s

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww80/llavaseur/1961%20panhead/rearbrakeassembly.jpg
First thing to check will be the linkage at the rear master cylinder, this will set the free travel as well as the drag at the rear wheel, there is no mechanical adjustment on rear drum juice brakes, Jack the bike up spin the wheel and aply the brake does it hold? Check for leaks? Welcome to the Forum:s
The picture here on the left is the brakes as new hope this helps a bit

There is an adjustment on the outside of the hub. There are 2 square nuts, for lack of terms, that you turn to set the drag on the shoes for free wheeling, no brake applied. One is for the front shoe and one for the rear shoe. In Jack's pic it is the round pins at about 3 & 9 o'clock. They are a cam action that moves in/out with rotation. Other than that it is as Jack said plus you want about 1/8" travel on the pedal before plunger engages in the piston for the master cylinder. If it is too close you will be applying the brake all the time.
tourbox

There is an adjustment on the outside of the hub. There are 2 square nuts, for lack of terms, that you turn to set the drag on the shoes for free wheeling, no brake applied. One is for the front shoe and one for the rear shoe. In Jack's pic it is the round pins at about 3 & 9 o'clock. They are a cam action that moves in/out with rotation. Other than that it is as Jack said plus you want about 1/8" travel on the pedal before plunger engages in the piston for the master cylinder. If it is too close you will be applying the brake all the time.
tourbox
:s Thanks Ray, I was thinking outside the box on the lousy mechanical rear brakes on my Panhead forgot about the cams on the juice brakes:s

No problem Jack. I just helped a friend with his '68 so it was fresh in my mind. Another week or two and it could have been a Seniors Moment(lol)
tourbox

Thank you Guys for the info. I am sure I will have many more Q's since this is a piece of old Iron I am riding..:bigsmiley28:

Peace..

Thank you Guys for the info. I am sure I will have many more Q's since this is a piece of old Iron I am riding..:bigsmiley28:

Peace..

Old iron is still tons of fun to work on :s

Back