free website stats program 1963 Pan Head | Harley Davidson Forums

1963 Pan Head

I just found a 1963 Pan head for sale. I am curious as to how much this bike may be worth? From what I can tell from the pictures that I have seen, this bike is excellent condition. As of now, I am not sure if it is an flf or flh, but I am leaning towards an FLH because of the rear shock style that is synonymous with the FLH. If my limit research is correct, there were only 100 of these bikes made. I do not know at this time if it is a foot shift or a tank shift. Let me what what you think this bike may be worth.

JohnnyB2

Johnny, before we can give you any imput we need more information. Are the engine and frame same #'s. Is it in running order? Do you have any pix you can share? How far are you from the bike and will you be looking at it before you buy? Many will give you imput on this vintage iron, as for the shape of the bike and the amount of $$ and time you want to put into it will be up to you. The market for used bikes and most vintage bikes is very soft right now. If you know the seller and feel you have the time to invest in keeping an older bike running, this may be a great Christmas present.

I just found a 1963 Pan head for sale. I am curious as to how much this bike may be worth? From what I can tell from the pictures that I have seen, this bike is excellent condition. As of now, I am not sure if it is an flf or flh, but I am leaning towards an FLH because of the rear shock style that is synonymous with the FLH. If my limit research is correct, there were only 100 of these bikes made. I do not know at this time if it is a foot shift or a tank shift. Let me what what you think this bike may be worth.

JohnnyB2

Be very careful if this bike is being offered as a genuine '63 original equipment bike. With the replica kits available today, it is very difficult to tell the difference between the kit bikes and the original equipment from pix. Go see it. Find all the numbers (as indicated above). If you are not really familiar with that year's bikes, find an old wrench (like Chopper) and see if you can pay their way there to look at the bike with you. If you are going to be spending the money for an original equipment '63, you want to make sure that is, in fact, what you are getting for your money.

TQ

Johnny, before we can give you any imput we need more information. Are the engine and frame same #'s. Is it in running order? Do you have any pix you can share? How far are you from the bike and will you be looking at it before you buy? Many will give you imput on this vintage iron, as for the shape of the bike and the amount of $$ and time you want to put into it will be up to you. The market for used bikes and most vintage bikes is very soft right now. If you know the seller and feel you have the time to invest in keeping an older bike running, this may be a great Christmas present.

I will be going to go look at it tomorrow and I will be getting some pictures of it and I will be asking for numbers so I can call MoCo and get the necessary information about the bike. As of now, it is not being advertised as a number matching bike. There is a lot of research that I have to do on this bike before I consider buying it. :D

Johnny it sounds like you are being careful and heading in the right direction. Anything that is suppose to be vintage and can hold up to the things your looking for is something to consider. I know the rest of us here are pulling for you and waiting for pictures and your take on the bike after you get a look at it. Good luck brother, I hope it's everything your looking for.

As stated previously, matching #'s, condition is EVERYTHING, if you are looking for "original or restorable to original" condition. The alternative would be chopper or custom regarding your application.

If it is original - DON'T modify it as it is worth more and honors the unspoken "Restoration Law". If it is heavily modified, then a "chopper" (less is more) or "custom" (more is more) it will be (equivalent of a "hot rod" or "custom kit car" in cager terms) will be the fate of the machine.

If you are prepared for it what the final application will be, if it is all original, but you want a hot rod PASS (misapplication and ruins the "karma" of the bike), if it is modified or heavily modified and you want it to be classic original PASS (again a misapplication, unless you are prepared to do a lot of searching with "restoration" your final goal.

The decision to buy or pass, falls on you, once the details of what it is sorted out. JMO. As Smitty and HDDon said earlier, only you can decide and see if it matches your intentions.

Look @ the left side crank case the serial number should start with 63 fl and a series of numbers after if it is the real deal, my 60 fl was 60fl14001

Johnny it sounds like you are being careful and heading in the right direction. Anything that is suppose to be vintage and can hold up to the things your looking for is something to consider. I know the rest of us here are pulling for you and waiting for pictures and your take on the bike after you get a look at it. Good luck brother, I hope it's everything your looking for.

Thanks,

I just found the bike today so I have been looking around the internet for information, which has been very little anyways. I have to drive three and half hours to look at it, so why not? On another forum there is a guy that is trying to talk me out of buying it..:small3d031::wall:help What is your opinion other than the usual, "it's up to me"?

I don't know what it is worth but my friend is having his 63 redone. Right now the money on the redo is almost 12 grand. But it is all orginal and looks perfect.

Back