free website stats program 1956 Panhead | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

1956 Panhead

Honored to do so. I hope you can restore her to her glory days as close to stock as possible. Regardless of how stock you get her, she will be a real draw at rallies and bike shows. Real bikers love the legacy bikes.

TQ

I think i got it running pretty good right now. i stopped the backfiring and she is "purring". tonight is bike night down the street and i'm making her debut.

well i got half way to bike night last night and she started backfiring through the pipes. and almost spit me off. this backfiring thing is unbelievable. Ahh the joys of having a vintage. i am getting a service manual in a few days but does anyone have any ideas until then, i really want to get this bike on the road. it backfires and sputters when i give it gas.

I'll bet you have more sediment in the carb again. I would start at the tank and empty it out, clean it thoroughly and do the line and carb again. Cleaning out the carb on an older bike without doing the tank will result in more of the same.

Man i just put fresh gas in it to. i will try that again though. could it have something to do with the timing. a few people have come by and said that. also a few people have told me to put in an electronic ignition. What are your thoughts on that. none of these people that have told me this are harley people. so i want a different view. (A harley view). I want the bike to be as stock as possible but i want it to run as well as possible. any ideas?

Nothing wrong at all with the points ignition if it is set up right. Changing point gap will also change the timing so it's critical to get them both right. Cleaning out the entire fuel system is the only way to get that much under control. Who knows what is in the tank?

Try to dump it into a bucket and let it settle to check for water that will settle to the bottom with the sediment so you can check the contents, flush it with some fresh gas before reinstalling it too.

Back