free website stats program 1956 Panhead | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1956 Panhead

How hard is it to clean a carb if you have never done it before? should I leave it to the experts or is it DIY job for sure?

How hard is it to clean a carb if you have never done it before? should I leave it to the experts or is it DIY job for sure?

How mechanically inclined are you? If you can operate a small flat blade screw driver, read instruction manuals, and read schematic diagrams, I think you have the skills necessary. But did the manual I gave you the link to have a section that includes the carb?

If it was me, I would NOT trust the bike to anyone else but me to do the work. There will be VERY few (if any) wrenches at the HD dealerships near you that have any hands-on experience with your '56 Pan. So they will be doing OJT on YOUR baby if you take it in!!

JMHO

TQ

Pull it apart...that's what I say.Just be careful that internal parts don't go flying or rolling all over the place.If you are using a rebuild kit,it should come with some instructions to help you along.Good luck!

1956 Panhead problem fixed

hey guys.

just tore apart my carb and cleaned it. running really good now. thanks for all your help. on to the next fix. how do i tune the idle speed?

Most carbs have 2 set screws that adjust the carb.1 is for the fuel mixture,the other is for idle.Generally,I turn in(clockwise)the fuel mixture screw until the engine starts to die out.Then turn out the same screw until you can get the highest rpm out of the engine.Once you think the fuel mix is adjusted then you can adjust your idle.

hey just got this bike and it is my first. i was wondering it there were any good places to get parts for it. i called a dealership and they said the bike was too old. is there any good websites or should i hold out for a bike show?
Thanks in advance.

Look up Nick's Custom Cycles online. He's located in South Jeresy.If anyone has classic parts it would be Nick.

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome aboard looks like you found a nice pan also looks like the guys here have you covered with the download of the manual too, jp cycles is a good place to start if you google hd panhead you will find several sites that specialize in panheads as well shovelheads good luck

you may want to check the condition of the tank before you run it too much loose rust and trash will clog up your newly cleaned carb in no time . as for the idle kingheritage gave you the adjustment procedure might want to check the ignition timing as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 1956 Panhead problem fixed

hey guys.

just tore apart my carb and cleaned it. running really good now. thanks for all your help. on to the next fix. how do i tune the idle speed?

How do I fix my carb: Time 02:59 PM
Carb fixed, bike runs great: Time 06:42 PM
3 hours 43 minutes to clean, rebuild, and reinstall carb.

Sound like you have a few mechanical skills. Keep us posted on your work. How about some pictures as you go along with this interesting project?

Re: 1956 Panhead problem fixed

hey guys.

Welcome to HDTimeline and so glad you are sharing your restoration with us. Just adding my 2c here, but as you do your restore, take digital pictures of before and after...really important when disassembling things so it is easier to put back together. Also when disassembling, try to keep in the exploded diagram form and use old egg cartons or compartment trays to separate all the parts to ease assembly. :s

Use non-chlorinated Brakleen, flushing the parts over a clean rag to minimize lint and dirt from contacting parts. Avoid getting cleaners, solvents or petroleum based products on rubber or leather parts. And inspect and rehearse your disassembly in a clear area, and have a well lit, clean work space that will not be disturbed if your work takes longer than you thought. Good luck and enjoy working on your "dream" machine...you are very fortunate to have found a nice workable vintage machine! :small3d026:

Re: newbie

hey,
i cleaned out my carb, fuel lines, and gas tank last night but when i tried to tune my idle speed it cut out on me and now i can't get it started. could it have something to do with the fuel mixture? any tips on just getting it started again?

Re: newbie

hey,
i cleaned out my carb, fuel lines, and gas tank last night but when i tried to tune my idle speed it cut out on me and now i can't get it started. could it have something to do with the fuel mixture? any tips on just getting it started again?

Hmm. Back track through the work you have just done to see if something has been overlooked (like gas valve on tank not open, no gas in tank, etc.).

Describe more completely what is happening. Is the starter engaging and turning the engine over? Does the engine try to start but then will not like it is NOT getting gas? Does it just keep turning over with a strong smell of gas? Take out the plugs and describe their condition - dry and like new, completely fouled and oily, fairly clean but completely soaked in gas, etc.

TQ

Back