free website stats program 1956 Panhead | Harley Davidson Forums

1956 Panhead

Hey,

just purchased a 1956 Harley Panhead. this is my first bike and it needs a little work. I'm not very knowlegeable on engines (I got this bike so i could learn). Any tips on where i should begin or get liturature on the subject? Again the bike needs little work ie: new cables (cluch and brake) wiring, fuses, etc... i would be grateful for any help on this matter. thanks in advance.

Re: newbie

Hey,

just purchased a 1956 Harley Panhead. this is my first bike and it needs a little work. I'm not very knowlegeable on engines (I got this bike so i could learn). Any tips on where i should begin or get liturature on the subject? Again the bike needs little work ie: new cables (cluch and brake) wiring, fuses, etc... i would be grateful for any help on this matter. thanks in advance.

Lucky, lucky guy!! I love the vintage bikes. Such classic lines.

Well, before you do anything, get a book!! Check here:

1948-1957 Motorcycle Harley Davidson Panhead Service Manual - HD Talking Downloads Page - Harley Davidson Community

You might want to give this a very thorough read, and then take a very careful inventory of the condition of the bike and what you need to do to get it in top shape. Be very critical. I know it is your baby, but she needs some restoration and getting her back in shape. She will be much happier when you are done. Once you know what needs to be done, study the manual again and research the Self-help pages.

TQ

Go to Amazon.com and do a search for this book.

How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson (Motorbooks Workshop Series)

hey just got this bike and it is my first. i was wondering it there were any good places to get parts for it. i called a dealership and they said the bike was too old. is there any good websites or should i hold out for a bike show?
Thanks in advance.

great website. thanks

just got my panhead but it has been sitting a few months. when i started it up it spits and sputters and backfires. i did put higher octane in it to clean the system but it did not work. will i have to clean/replace the carb?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 1965 panhead

Try a couple of ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil mixed in with the gas it will desolve any gunk and lube carb parts.

Hey,

Welcome.

Wish you were welcoming me and I was fix'n to start work on that beautiful pan!

ride safe

Back