free website stats program 1946 Panhead value? May trade for it tomorrow | Harley Davidson Forums

1946 Panhead value? May trade for it tomorrow

jack57

Hello all, I'm new here.

I may be trading my 1977 Custom Corvette for a custom 1946 Panhead tomorrow afternoon.
It was featured in the 1993 Easy Rider front cover.

My question is this. Is it worth the trade? If so, I'll be hanging out here.
Any feedback is appreciated.

I guess I have to have 5 posts before I can posts pics.:yeahright
I'll try to by tonight.

1977 vets was nothing much to get excited about in the real world not a special car.
Now if I had it and could trade it for a 1946 HD in great shape it would be the quckest deal I ever made. But I like bikes cars are ok.
While the 77 vet will have some value over the years it will not match a 1946 HD in the right condition IMO.
Actually my Corvette is a custom show car. It has won over 20 trophies.
I'll post some pictures of the Vette and the bike after 3 more posts.

Ok... there are lot's of photo's of my custom Corvette here:
1977 Corvette

Here is two pictures of the 46 Panhead this guy wants to trade for my Vette
panhead1.jpg

panhead2.jpg

Wow,that's a tough one. If it was a stock Vette I'd say jump at the trade. But if I had something That I've put as much into as you have that Vette I would have trouble letting it go. Assuming you've done the work and didn't buy it after someone else did it.

Jack; You need to do some checking on this bike. The first year of the panhead was 1948, not '46. It's probably an aftermarket repo engine. As custom looking as it is, it's value is not based on being a 1946.

If the title and the engine cases say 1946, It is a 46 knuckle head with a panhead top end :s

Last edited:
what you have here is a custom bike and as stated here by others the year and model is not relivent in this case , original numbers on both cases, and production belly numbers and all other matching components on the motor would play in to value as also chasiss correct oem parts ( original ) correct frame for year would add value , the value of this custom bike would depend on the quality of the parts used to do this build and ofcourse as you know the finish and fitment would play a big part of value , Just my Opinion here But from your pictures of your 77 Vet , I would say you have double in your build.just to give you an example a friend of mine has a nicly done 56 pan custom build nice fit and finish,real nice runner ,head turner. forsale and asking 15k, I think he is too high in his price .Good luck

Jack; You need to do some checking on this bike. The first year of the panhead was 1948, not '46. It's probably an aftermarket repo engine. As custom looking as it is, it's value is not based on being a 1946.

I agree with Breeze here. It may be one of the aftermarket jobs. These are made to look like the originals, but with modern manufacturing methods and materials. Not bad if that is what you want, but just ensure you know what you are getting.

As an example, see Classic '15-'83 pg 583

V-Twin Manufacturing® - Aftermarket Products for Harley Davidson and Antique Motorcycle Parts

TQ

Back