free website stats program 15k Service | Harley Davidson Forums

15k Service

I'm not a complete moron when it comes to mechanics so I want to take a crack at doing a 15k service myself. I was quoted 300 dollars for this job by HD, but I think this is too much especially since the sales guy told me I could do it myself. He mentioned all sorts of things, fork oil, engine oil, tranny fluids, on and on. So although I am not a complete moron, I don't know enough about bikes to know how to preforms this maintenance. I am new to HD's and would like to learn how to complete this maintenance myself and possibly eventually preform mechanical modifications/repairs. Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of a DIY step by step maintenance guide which would include all steps in a 15k maintenance?

HD shop manual for your bike. Has everything you will need to know, step by step. Has charts detailing everything to be done at whatever mileage interval your looking at doing. Don't go with the off-brands. Not as complete IMO.

The "Shop" Manual would also be known as the Service Manual? I have seen this book throughout my readings for around 60 dollars or so and they are available at the dealership? As I read the owners manual it has a check list of things to do, maybe 30 or so, does the service manual/shop manual cover each of these things as well as a step by step guide for each?

The "Shop" Manual would also be known as the Service Manual? I have seen this book throughout my readings for around 60 dollars or so and they are available at the dealership? As I read the owners manual it has a check list of things to do, maybe 30 or so, does the service manual/shop manual cover each of these things as well as a step by step guide for each?
The owners manual, for the most part tells you what and when. The service manual tells HOW.

The HD Service Manual for your specific bike is an absolute must if you're going to go down this road. Expensive but well worth it.

After reading over a procedure several times, it's also a tremendous help to do a search on this forum and/or scan the self help section for tips and tricks from folks who have done it many times.

Best $60 you will ever spend...go for it, makes much more sense than ANY *bling* one could buy and will save you many long hours and dollars in a very short time.

Back