15% ethanol

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Cuzz, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Cuzz

Cuzz Member

Has anyone seen 15% ethanol yet? How can we best deal with it if and when its widely available? Any ideas as to whether its more of an issue for older (2005 -2008) vs. newer and carb vs. FI? Lots of questions I know.

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

More alcohol is coming you can almost bet on that, Older carbs will suffer more, the rubber and plastic parts take alot of abuse from the corrosive actions of the alcohol. IMO adding some MMO oil or Seafoam any thing with out MORE alcohol to the tank will be a big help:s

3. Cuzz

Cuzz Member

Tank,

MMO as in Marvel Mystery Oil?

4. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

+1 on seafoam and MMO, both are great products. Don't leave home without em!:s

5. gasbag

gasbag Active Member

I am fortunate enough to have several places I can buy ethanol free gas in my area.
    There are so many rumors and urban myths and opinions on what ethanol does to an engine that I have no idea what to think about it except that I will never use it in any of my vehicles.

6. Jack Klarich

Harley Davidson Community
    I dont know all I DO know is the Alcohol has destroyed plastic and rubber parts in small engines SO you can be safe in saying the same would be happening in a V Twin fuel system

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012
  7. cedarbrook63

cedarbrook63 Junior Member

Out of curiosity: does it mess up car engines as well? And if so, how is it being permitted???:30:

8. Jack Klarich

Newer cars adapt very good to the ethanol, older ones not so good. I have replaced TOO many pumps, injectors, regulators intake gaskets you name it the Alcohol had destroyed the parts This is not just a guess or Urban legend I have turned wrenches to long to not know how this is a bad thing for the internal combustion engine unless it is set up for alcohol and not a combination of the two

9. cromedome

cromedome Active Member

Ceaderbrook63: How can it be? Ask our bribed politicians (here they call them "political contributions", by lobbyist) that's how....both parties...

10. cedarbrook63

cedarbrook63 Junior Member

Politicians? Say no more.........:newsmile093: