free website stats program 127" motor | Harley Davidson Forums

127" motor

Gezzer Glide

Contributor
I have a friend who is putting together a 86 Tour Glide from a basket case condition. He wants to stick a 127" Ultma motor in it. I suggested that if he does that he should upgrade his clutch, which is stock 80" clutch. He says it will be able to handle it O.K. Question is is he right?

probably not...but he'll find out the first time he fires it up and lets go of the lever. If he rides it like he probably can be expected to (after all, why put a motor that size in a bike if you don't intend to use that torque/power) it won't last long and will probably slip. They supply a spring for the clutch in the MoCo's 103 big-bore kit. I would assume there's a reason for that.

That's a lot of ponys in a heavy bike, I would do the clutch as part of the build, I hate doing things twice, but it's his bike and it can be done after the fact.

I agree with above. All that power has to go through the clutch and no matter how much we "SAY" we aren't going to hammer on it. We do :D Experience talking. As said above . The SE kits come with the heavier clutch spring for a reason. My two cents.

Thanks for the advise. It don't matter to me what he does except he wants to go to Sturgis with me right after he gets it together. I don't want to drag a boat anchor to Sturgis.

Sturgis eh !!! That 127 should be good and hot after sitting in the traffic there. Its hard to imagine when you have 10,000 bikes on one street and they are all idling how hot it can get. I'd advise him to get a good oil cooler too.:D

Sturgis eh !!! That 127 should be good and hot after sitting in the traffic there. Its hard to imagine when you have 10,000 bikes on one street and they are all idling how hot it can get. I'd advise him to get a good oil cooler too.:D

It has an oil cooler on it already. I know traffic is going to be bad. He has been there 4 times already and says he knows the ins and outs of Sturgis traffic. At least I hope he does. The only reason I'm going is for the ride from California to Sturgis and to get me one of those patches that says "I rode mine to Sturgis 2010" at 64 I better do it soon. As far as I'm concerned it is just another Holister but much bigger.:57:

Well traffic is something but is worth it. A great party , good people and all the bikes you can stand. I'm heading California way in July then back home and then off to Sturgis too. Have a safe trip and enjoy ride. Its great.

Well traffic is something but is worth it. A great party , good people and all the bikes you can stand. I'm heading California way in July then back home and then off to Sturgis too. Have a safe trip and enjoy ride. Its great.

Mr. BUM,
Met some riders, last year, end of july 09, up on Chinook Pass, Western Wa., On a Traffic accident delay... Asking where they were from and headed?
They were from North Dakota and were headed to Sturgis in South Dakota..... WHAT????

They were riding to the pacific coast then down Hgy 101 to California, cutting east to Colorado back and up to Sturgis...

Now that is a great way to get There From There...

I would invest in the LaNale Fan to keep Some air on the cyl's. Just for sturgis and slow traffic.. If it hasn't been suggested already ...

signed....BUBBIE

Hi Bubbie
Funny enough that was my original plan for this year. Ride up through Washington State, Oregon and Northern California then swing back through and head to Sturgis then home to Alberta Canada. Unfortunately the wife was less enthusiastic about that plan then us going to West coast then home. Then a break at home then to Sturgis and back. Don't know about your house but at my house the wife usually wins. or :x So that is our plan this year. :D

Back