free website stats program 1200 XLN Engine/Air/Fuel ISSUE HELP!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

1200 XLN Engine/Air/Fuel ISSUE HELP!!!

Pinky777

Hi. So I have an 08 Nightster with just about 10k miles on it. Bought it used in 09 and its been on many road trips. The most recent road trip brought us back to the repair shop where she sat for 2 1/2 months!! And I still don't think she's right!

What's going on is after you put in 3rd gear and your just coasing/cruising along she kinda makes a chugging manuever...kindof a cross between loss of power and loss of fuel and loss of air... either way she just wont run right after third gear!

The shop finaly determined that my intake maniold was cracked (which they did by the way when they put the air breather on) and it was covered under warranty. But I picked her up and rode her home (granted it was only like 30-35 degrees out) and she's not doing it as prominently but still you can feel it and hear it...

Anyone else have a 2008 Nightster that has had issues like this??? I think I'm going crazy!!! Thanks!!!:12:

I'm not really sure as I dont have a tach but after reading your article i am a little of on my shifting .... i was told that i need to rev my bike up a bit because its a sporty and thats what they were designed for... so i am at about 35 before i shift to 3rd gear on a 5 speed.

It is always good to ride a little higher in the rev range so that motor is not lugging. You always want to be in a position of instant acceleration to get out of harms way.....:s

Try shifting down a gear when you get the chugging and see if it smooths out. It sounds like you could be lugging it and that will do damage to the lower end of the engine.

We have tried running it high and we have tried running it low.... at first my hubby thought it was just me ans the way I ride so when he took it and rode it both ways he felt it too. It just makes no sense!!

We have made some mods to it... it has vance n hines pipes and a air breahter rather than filter on it.... all installed by the harley shop so they must not be the problem right? But we have had it 4 times this year for this problem and its not getting better...actually its getting worse! Wehn the harley shop had it the mechanic said at one pont it did it in all the gears no matter waht!!

They have told me everything form my spark plugs and wires to the fuel filter and pump and regulator to the ECM to the mass air flow thingy to now the intake manifold.... ggggrrrr!!!!

It's kind of hard to diagnose this kind of a problem over the internet. You may want to have the fuel pressure checked and verified to be correct. If it was low, it would cause strange things to happen.

You have a " mass air flow thingy"? :D Are you sure it's not the reluctor valve?

It's kind of hard to diagnose this kind of a problem over the internet. You may want to have the fuel pressure checked and verified to be correct. If it was low, it would cause strange things to happen.

You have a " mass air flow thingy"? :D Are you sure it's not the reluctor valve?
Well they said an air flow .... thingy.... and then mass flow.... somethinoranother... yes I am female and I dont do mechanic talk :p

I will ask my hubby tho about what you said...maybe he knows if they checked it. And he is even stumped by this thing!! It's crazy lol

it has vance n hines pipes and a air breahter rather than filter on it.... all installed by the harley shop so they must not be the problem right?

Could you explain this a bit better? No filter? Are you referring to a stage 1 upgrade?

Back