free website stats program 1200 Nightster - Pipes too noisy | Harley Davidson Forums

1200 Nightster - Pipes too noisy

israguard

Hi Guys
I had the nightster delivered with RC Xhaust pipes kozz they look really good. Truth be told I never heard them but loved the look. Bike is new and I just find the sound too loud. So much so that I find I'm getting headaches from it.

I swung by dealer today and he said "well what did you expect running almost 100% straight pipes?".

I asked about replacing my pipes with Screamin Eagle.. Tech said noise would drop by approx 50%. Louder than stock but not too loud to upset me or the police.

Just wanted some of you experts to let me know if you agree with Tech's assessment.

Thank you
WAP.gif

A wee bit louder than stock with a wee bit more flow is good
But a lot of noise with a straight through pipe is not so good for relationship with neighbours or for engine performance

Brian

Can you wrap the baffles in your RCX exhaust to quiet them down, or see if they sell quiet baffle...??

Came back from dealer. Bit the bullet and ordered all SE.. At least I lucked out and got 20% which was nice..

Looking forward to some quieter riding
WAP.gif

I have the se sp's & they are a great compromise on sound,not too loud,but a good tone,& they definately helped on performance right through the range.

im trying to go the opposite way and make my bike as loud as possible... don't get why you would want it quieter :D but cheers!:cheers ride safe!

Good morning,
Well, I went to dealer and ordered all new SE parts. Four days before install I went for a short ride with a Friend who told me I'm crazy and that my bike wasn't too loud at all.."it's a Harley". I had earplugs on and was wearing a 1/2 helmet. In past I found full face to be louder on this bike.

Anyhooo.. Changed my mind and keeping it nice and loud. I'm used to it now.
WAP.gif

im trying to go the opposite way and make my bike as loud as possible... don't get why you would want it quieter :D but cheers!:cheers ride safe!

Maybe because like me he had to sign a waiver to agree to take responsibility for the mechanic's fines if they got busted while dyno tuning the bike because of the louder exhaust? Or maybe they see signs posted up about how the cops dislike the loud exhaust and the statute? Washington Co is pretty small and the cops have little better to do so it is something they can ticket you for and all they have to do is see your pipes and look for the OE numbers on it.

Maybe because like me he had to sign a waiver to agree to take responsibility for the mechanic's fines if they got busted while dyno tuning the bike because of the louder exhaust? Or maybe they see signs posted up about how the cops dislike the loud exhaust and the statute? Washington Co is pretty small and the cops have little better to do so it is something they can ticket you for and all they have to do is see your pipes and look for the OE numbers on it.

Glad I don't live there! :taunt

Back