free website stats program 1200 fuel leak from overflow | Harley Davidson Forums

1200 fuel leak from overflow

corney

Greetings to all. I am working on my brothers 1200 sportster 2001. It has been sitting for 2 years??? I have replaced the pet cock with an after market that dose not have the vacuum port and I plugged the vacuum line. The old pet cock was nasty. I did this on the advice from the Harley shop. I replaced the fuel line and the tank vent line. I still have an obstruction inside the tank I cant blow through the vent line. Take the cap off and you can see the vent line.

I rebuilt the carb. It was NASTY. Soaked in cleaner for 24 hours. Float is good it dose not sink when you put it in some gas. New needle valve. Float is set at 19mm.

Bike starts fine and runs good no hesitation in throttle. When I shut it down and wait about 3-5 min gas leaks out the overflow. If I shut the pet cock It stops. I do not have a manual. Sure am glad I found this site.

You have to open up the carb and clean out the needle and seat. There's some debris causing it to hang open and what happened to you is the result of that. I would remove and clean out the tank and fuel lines too.

Float height should be 10.5 to 11.5 mm if the carb is later than 92 with carb held at a 15 to 20 degree angle from the horizontal
once the float height is correctly set and you have already replaced the needle valve there must then be some sort of problem in the needle valve seat whether it is dirt or grit or some damage to that area
i think you may have to pull the carb out again and do some further cleaning and inspection
if the tank is in a bit of a mess inside then further dirt and grit may get into the needle valve area every time the fuel is on

Brian

My '05 has a little vent control valve in the vent line. Maybe yours does too and it should be checked for correct operation. Maybe part of your problem if not working ok.
Good Luck....Pete

Back