free website stats program 113 Ultima adj. Push-rod problem | Harley Davidson Forums

113 Ultima adj. Push-rod problem

zoood

Product Contributor
Im presently changing out my cam in my 113 Ultima.
I was turning my back wheel to set the cylinder at TDC.
I wanted to get the push-rods at the point where you could spin them with your fingers. This is what I noticed. When I allow the push-rod's chrome cover to lay against the push-rod. Actually using a finger to keep it against the rod and as I turn or spin the push-rod. The chrome piece would move back and forth. Maybe 3/32nds. Besides holding the chrome piece against the push-rod and just turning it. I can see that the rod is actually bent. The threaded section doesnt follow straight and in-line with the rest of the rod. I checked the other push-rod and the intake of the rear cylinder is bent also. I'm still checking the front and it also looks like the exhaust push-rod is bent too. Not a serious bend. But none the less. It's not right. I'm getting ready to pull the rods and lay them on a micro flat table to check them for sure. Looks like I'll be ordering new adj. push-rods. This really bothers me. The engine has only 3200 miles on it and yes I did the break in procedure the way they wanted. Any suggestions for new adj. push-rods? I dont want Ultima push-rods in there. Because their quality and their workmanship is NOW questionable.

zoood/RJ

I have had very good luck with the HD SE slender tapered ones......

I too had problems with a set (?) of pushrods not lining up properly, off at the threaded ends USUALLY, the Corse threaded ones (loose fit-bend when lock nutted) ..

The Slender HD's seem to be good though.. I really don't know about the threads per inch BUT Would suggest getting the Finest thread for Bend control...

There are many others brands out there and maybe another suggested one will come up here..

signed....BUBBIE

I have had very good luck with the HD SE slender tapered ones......

I too had problems with a set (?) of pushrods not lining up properly, off at the threaded ends USUALLY, the Corse threaded ones (loose fit-bend when lock nutted) ..

The Slender HD's seem to be good though.. I really don't know about the threads per inch BUT Would suggest getting the Finest thread for Bend control...

There are many others brands out there and maybe another suggested one will come up here..

signed....BUBBIE

SE all the way, or Jims JIMS.....Performance Parts for Harley-Davidson Motorcycles

the push-rods that I pulled out of my Ultima 113. The intake ones are silver in color. The exhaust are black in color. (Wondering who makes these)
The exhaust ones are a little longer than the intake ones. The threaded or adjustment section or insert is 2 & 1/2 inches long for the threaded section. This holds true for both push-rods. On the threaded section of the insert, the section that has the flat area across from itself (each side) that is 1 & 3/4 long. The remainder of the threaded area has no flats on it and is 3/4 of inch long. If I was to screw just that 3/4" section into the the threaded section of the push-rod tube. There is considerable play in the threads allowing the threaded rod to be wiggled in any direction. (Side to side) A tiny play can be felt when you pull and push it. When the locking nut is used. It locks the two together but not in a straight line. When the push-rod is turned in the lifter/rocker sockets with your fingers. It turns outta round, not in a straight line.

can anyone confirm if the rod is suppose to have this amount of play or not?

zoood

the push-rods that I pulled out of my Ultima 113. The intake ones are silver in color. The exhaust are black in color. (Wondering who makes these)
The exhaust ones are a little longer than the intake ones. The threaded or adjustment section or insert is 2 & 1/2 inches long for the threaded section. This holds true for both push-rods. On the threaded section of the insert, the section that has the flat area across from itself (each side) that is 1 & 3/4 long. The remainder of the threaded area has no flats on it and is 3/4 of inch long. If I was to screw just that 3/4" section into the the threaded section of the push-rod tube. There is considerable play in the threads allowing the threaded rod to be wiggled in any direction. (Side to side) A tiny play can be felt when you pull and push it. When the locking nut is used. It locks the two together but not in a straight line. When the push-rod is turned in the lifter/rocker sockets with your fingers. It turns outta round, not in a straight line.

can anyone confirm if the rod is suppose to have this amount of play or not?

zoood

NO IT ISN'T.... they Have to be straight.(.)

The Problem and Answer is exactly what I posted above(my other post)....... I have taken time in the Past, on a similar set of push-rods to CAREFULLY adjust and tighten the locking nut, Holding it as straight as I could BUT mostly it came out Not NOT straight , causing the MIS-alignment.

So I bought the HD SE slender tapers. about 140$

You say black and silver... Might be OLD style HD's... HD had the bad ones I used years ago and i Bought them because they were CHEAPER then the Better ones..

signed....BUBBIE

Sorry for having you explain it again to me. I saw that you answered me after I had already put that in. That price of a 140.00 is that each?
Also,... I went a step further and did a video of the movement.

Thanks for your help, zoood

Sorry for having you explain it again to me. I saw that you answered me after I had already put that in. That price of a 140.00 is that each?

No, that would be the price for a set. Adjustable PRs will be between $100 and $170 for a set of four depending on what you get. I installed the V-Thunder kit in my UC when I did the roller chain conversion. But my bike is 88ci with standard compression. However, it might be worth checking these out. Made here in the States:

V Thunder: Pushrod Kits

TQ

You have a common problem with adjustables, a lot of engines I've worked on do have a small amount of run out with there pushrods, don't forget you have a high performance engine with some pretty heavey valve springs them rods are pushing. Jims & S&S make some good pushrods, just make sure which ever ones you pick say Quick install or time saver so you don't have to tear the top end off.

Here's a Ultima parts book if you don't have one, they don't say who makes their pushrods.
View attachment ultrima parts.pdf

Here's the S/E Quick install pushrods, Harley taperd Quick installs only fit twin cams.
View attachment Quick-Install Pushrod Kit For Evolution® 1340 Models.pdf

Rivera makes some taperlite push rods for evo, I like them but have seen them bend with time, same problem you got now.
View attachment Taperlite_Evo_instructions.pdf

You have a common problem with adjustables, a lot of engines I've worked on do have a small amount of run out with there pushrods, don't forget you have a high performance engine with some pretty heavey valve springs them rods are pushing. Jims & S&S make some good pushrods, just make sure which ever ones you pick say Quick install or time saver so you don't have to tear the top end off.

Here's a Ultima parts book if you don't have one, they don't say who makes their pushrods.
View attachment 8719

Here's the S/E Quick install pushrods, Harley taperd Quick installs only fit twin cams.
View attachment 8720

Rivera makes some taperlite push rods for evo, I like them but have seen them bend with time, same problem you got now.
View attachment 8721

Chopper, thank you for the link for the HD parts. Ive another wrench on another site, that quoted the same as what you mentioned. There's a lot of riders that like to mention what they have done in this situation for their scoots. Not realizing that a twin cam's PR's are different than an EVO's PR's. Though mines an Ultima. It's just a big clone of an EVO.

Thanks again, zoood

Back