free website stats program 10K Service - Yes you can | Harley Davidson Forums

10K Service - Yes you can

kzoo

Banned
Just completed all but one small step in my 10k service. First time I had to do any service to the scoot since picking it up this year.

Anyone who is wondering if they can do it themselves, the answer is a resounding YES!

3 hold fluid change piece of cake ( mobil 1 v-twin in motor, Redline Shockproof in the trans, redline primary in primary) Biggest hang up was trying to figure out the size of the allen head to drain the primary!!

Bolts tightened to specs

Tensions all looked reasonable.

Spokes sound tingy!

Still need to grease the neck zerk, but that should be easy when my kid brings back my grease gun!!!

All in all, took me about 2 hours maybe a bit more, taking my time and some beverage breaks!!

Good job Kzoo. Did the same thing with my Fatboy.

I know about that "kid borrowed the .....", and just as sure as they borrow it I'm gonna need it the next weekend, never fails.

Rock on.

Ishmael

Good job Kzoo. Did the same thing with my Fatboy.

I know about that "kid borrowed the .....", and just as sure as they borrow it I'm gonna need it the next weekend, never fails.

Rock on.

Ishmael

That's OK I probably "borrowed" it from my dad years ago!! :D

Hey KZOO you better start writing down when the kid borrows something. I know I forget when he borrows something and I go searching all over for what he borrowed.

Last edited:
You will find that the satisfaction you received by doing your service yourself, your bike will run better than if any dealer did the sevice.... Just be sure to use a high temp grease like 450 degrees drop point or more so the hot weather does not cause grease to drip on fender.....

I did the 5K on my FB, felt good to this myself! I touched everything on that bike so i know everything is right! Unlike my dealer 1K service, left oil all over,under motor, trans plug leaked and they missed the loose front caliper bolts...all for $280.
Never Again
wilks3
:USA

There's a lot of self pride to be had when you do your own service. It not only saves you hundreds of dollars but as wilks3 mentioned, you know it was all done properly and no areas were given the quick "once over" that is much too common at some dealers.

Even if you still have the dealer do the service for now until you build your confidence, always check over the areas that they were suppose to cover to make sure they didn't leave something half done.

Oh yeah...got to do the maintenance ourselves. What better way to get to know your scoot.

I do like the Redline you chose for the tranny and primary not to mention the Mobil 1.

Oh yeah...got to do the maintenance ourselves. What better way to get to know your scoot.

I do like the Redline you chose for the tranny and primary not to mention the Mobil 1.

I was kind of surprised when I poured the 22 ozs of the redline w shockproof into my wifes measuring cup! It was so thick and the color of pepto bismol!!

Ummmm....seems I now owe my wife a new measuring cup!! :newsmile055:

Back