free website stats program 103ci hot and noisey | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

103ci hot and noisey

The Andrews 48 is very similar to the 255 but with more overlap and will carry the TQ out past the point where the 255 fades which is between 4000-4500 rpms depending on exhaust and tune. However, since you never hit the rev limiter, no real reason to upgrade to the 48 cams. Now, should you increase displacement to 107" in the future, the 255s will have to go and head work would be in order. You think you are happy with the way the bike runs now; you are in for a treat should you ever go down the 107" road.;)
BTW, what other upgrades would be needed for a well tuned 107? Bigger belt to with stand the load? What about the primary and trany? Tires? all that jazz?

BTW, what other upgrades would be needed for a well tuned 107? Bigger belt to with stand the load? What about the primary and trany? Tires? all that jazz?
Have you done any thing with your clutch? Me thinks the belt and primary can take take the torque

Belt and primary need no upgrades as Jack points out; however, a compensator upgrade might be required at some point, 103 or not. Clutch will require upgrading; Bandit Sportsman or AIM VPC are options. Lever pull could be an issue with the Bandit clutch but a Muller ramp kit will make a big difference; lighter pull than the HD EZ Pull kit. VPC is great, only issue is power shifting at high rpms when the unit is a max lockup; however the lever pull is about 25%-30% improved.

Compression releases should be part of the head work package. Tires? no upgrade required but you will be buying rear tires more often.......;)

Have you done any thing with your clutch? Me thinks the belt and primary can take take the torque
Yes, I installed the SE Clutch and plate set plus a SE clutch spring just before I had the Cam installed.

Belt and primary need no upgrades as Jack points out; however, a compensator upgrade might be required at some point, 103 or not. Clutch will require upgrading; Bandit Sportsman or AIM VPC are options. Lever pull could be an issue with the Bandit clutch but a Muller ramp kit will make a big difference; lighter pull than the HD EZ Pull kit. VPC is great, only issue is power shifting at high rpms when the unit is a max lockup; however the lever pull is about 25%-30% improved.

Compression releases should be part of the head work package. Tires? no upgrade required but you will be buying rear tires more often.......;)
My Bike is a 2009 96 Ci FLHTCU, I have a first gen SE Compensator (PT # -08) with a compensaver. This last adventure into the Primary, I found no wear on the Comp at all. I didn't take apart the Clutch pack this time. I don't know anything about the clutches that you mentioned so I will have to look them up. I don't power shift at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I installed the SE Clutch and plate set plus a SE clutch spring just before I had the Cam installed.

The SE clutch and SE spring won't hold a healthy 107; capable of TQ in the 125# range. The AIM VPC is available with light to stronger springs rated by ft/lb of TQ. Lever pull with the correct spring and it will hold; nice setup but, like I said in my previous, power shifting at higher rpms can be tricky.:eek:

EDIT: The Compensaver should do the trick; I would just keep and eye on it.;) No power shifting? ever?. Dang, should try it now and then.:D

The SE clutch and SE spring won't hold a healthy 107; capable of TQ in the 125# range. The AIM VPC is available with light to stronger springs rated by ft/lb of TQ. Lever pull with the correct spring and it will hold; nice setup but, like I said in my previous, power shifting at higher rpms can be tricky.:eek:

EDIT: The Compensaver should do the trick; I would just keep and eye on it.;) No power shifting? ever?. Dang, should try it now and then.:D
Yeah I know...
I used to do it once in a while on my GL1800 racing Muscle cars that would mess with me on I 85. :)

HMM... I get the science behind it but they say it can handle "up to 200Lb's" of torque. Why not more?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Yeah. Why? I am ignorant and want to know...:confused::oops::confused:

Not suggesting ignorance but just saying why would AIM develop a VPC for a Harley that would hold a 200ft.lb. plus motor.? Where would the application be? Who would buy it? Pro Fuel drag bikes would not use a variable clutch; completely different animal and operation for air shifting at WOT.

Not suggesting ignorance but just saying why would AIM develop a VPC for a Harley that would hold a 200ft.lb. plus motor.? Where would the application be? Who would buy it? Pro Fuel drag bikes would not use a variable clutch; completely different animal and operation for air shifting at WOT.

I absolutely do not know on all counts but I'm curious about them because you mentioned it. As I've said in the passed, I'm not a master Mechanic but I love motorcycles. I've ridden all my life, all Metrics.
I'm still new to the Harley world and still learning about my first Harley. If I convert to a 107 and it is well tuned, what clutch do I get or at least consider? The AIM?

Back