free website stats program 103ci hot and noisey | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

103ci hot and noisey

Would the Gen 4 fuel management make a noticeable difference on a 2004 dyna with Fuel injection? I have stage 1 download, pipes, and air cleaner.

It's not just Harleys that make noise. I had a Yamaha stratolliner with 113 cubic inch engine and it made top end noise too. So much so that there were many post in the forums about it. You are sitting right on top of an engine and if you could sit on your car engine, it would make noise too.
Its amazing how quiet a water cooled engine is that does not have soup can size pistons.........

I have $2087.00 to do mine but I have 80,700 miles on it.i baby my bike tack never goes over 4500 .I love my 2012 no complaints.
I used to hit my rev limiter every now and then. Now that I had the cam (SE 255) installed, a set of DD Fat Cats new lifters, cam tensioners and a dyno tune...I almost never hit the rev limit. I have lots of low RPM torque. I also have lots of torque at highway speed to pass with out down shifting. Dolt suggested that I get an Andrews Cam for my 96 Ci and maybe he was right but I really like how my FLHTCU 96 Ci is running right now.
I may bump it up to a 107 at some point but for now, I'm very satisfied.
I try to stay up on all of the maintenance. Any time the bike needs something, I try to do it myself. I save time and money. The last time I let the dealer do an oil change. They slobbered oil all over the front of the engine and chipped the paint on the aft end of the front finder. The front suspension needs to be flushed next.

Some will like take to the future changes and some will noto_O.
People do not like change, especially older people. Most Harley riders are older than most bike riders IMO. I personally would welcome a single radiator with a mechanical engine driven water pump.
Meanwhile I continue to modify and ride the wheels of my '02 FLHT and '05 FXSTD and may never buy a new Harley.:rolleyes:
I think a lot of us will be doing something a long those lines o_O
I did breakdown and buy a BMW R9T last year. Don't let anybody tell you that the horizontally opposed twin doesn't throw off major heat and that it is sewing machine quiet but it will carve up the twisties!;)
Not many BMW dealers around Atlanta so I never really got into them. A friend at work has one. Its a nice ride but I never see him on it. :rolleyes: My GL1800 Boxer 6 Cyl put out some heat big time as well.
Cheers

Would the Gen 4 fuel management make a noticeable difference on a 2004 dyna with Fuel injection? I have stage 1 download, pipes, and air cleaner.

With the exhaust and free flowing air cleaner your scoot will be running more on the lean side. Adding a fuel management system of your choice will help reverse that and fatten it up and as a added benefit the engine will run cooler.

I'm not familiar with the generation 4 but ran the gen 3 on my 05 and it did help both with delivering more needed fuel and it ran cooler as well.

If you go with Dobeck their customer service and tech department are very helpful.

Dolt suggested that I get an Andrews Cam for my 96 Ci and maybe he was right but I really like how my FLHTCU 96 Ci is running right now.

The Andrews 48 is very similar to the 255 but with more overlap and will carry the TQ out past the point where the 255 fades which is between 4000-4500 rpms depending on exhaust and tune. However, since you never hit the rev limiter, no real reason to upgrade to the 48 cams. Now, should you increase displacement to 107" in the future, the 255s will have to go and head work would be in order. You think you are happy with the way the bike runs now; you are in for a treat should you ever go down the 107" road.;)

The basic difference between the Gen3 and Gen4 systems is the addition of an AFR gauge and the use of wide band O2 sensors. Not a bad system but more cumbersome than say the V&H FP3. Before making a decision, it would be wise to get online and read about each system, i.e., the install instructions, hardware and tuning process.

TQuentin1 has run the FP3 and, IIRC, was happy with the results. Perhaps he will weigh in. I pulled the below quote from a previous post.

I had an FP3 on my '11 FLSTC (Heritage Softail Classic). I loved it! Download the app to your phone, blue tooth the FP3 and marry it to the bike, input the bike configuration, download the map and then flash the ECU. That's it! Solved almost all of the decel popping i had after doing the high-flow A/C. Already had the V&H staggered exhaust pipes on the engine when I got the bike.

I like the fact that it has an autotune option if you are not completely happy with the download. But in my case I was. I also like the fact that you can mount the phone on your handle bar and then use the app to monitor sensor info. Very neat feature!

Unfortunately, my '12 FLHTCU103 (Ultra Classic) does not have the CANbus (HDLan). So I can't use an FP3 on this bike, or I would have one on it already!!!

TQuentin1 has run the FP3 and, IIRC, was happy with the results. Perhaps he will weigh in. I pulled the below quote from a previous post.

I am running the Dobeck EJK on my '12 UC since it does not have the HDLAN (CAN Bus). The EJK I went with does NOT use the O2 sensor feedback loop. I like the simplicity of these Dobeck systems for the general DIY user.

But I definitely loved the FP3 I had on my '11 Heritage Softail Classic. I would have one of these on the UC if the system was the same. Also a very simple system to use.

Cheers,

TQ

The Andrews 48 is very similar to the 255 but with more overlap and will carry the TQ out past the point where the 255 fades which is between 4000-4500 rpms depending on exhaust and tune. However, since you never hit the rev limiter, no real reason to upgrade to the 48 cams. Now, should you increase displacement to 107" in the future, the 255s will have to go and head work would be in order. You think you are happy with the way the bike runs now; you are in for a treat should you ever go down the 107" road.;)
Shwing!!!!! :)

Back