free website stats program 103ci hot and noisey | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

103ci hot and noisey

Just traded my 2011 with a 103 motor 6400 miles...the motor went bad...service manager at a large dealer told me that they are having some problems with the oil coolers slowing down the flow of oil to the top end. The hotter they get the worse the noise gets because of lower oil pressure. The dealer told me that it is becoming common, after rebuilding the motors they are taking off the coolers and the problem is going away. He told me to listen carefully through the break in on my new one, if i thought it was too noisy they would take the cooler off of it under warranty.

I traded 2011 RK for a 2012 Street Glide. The SG is less noisy than the RK but they both are hotter than my 88 c.i..

I believe that noise is bike specific, not model or engine specific.

A dealer does not have a problem with noise until the warrenty expires. This is my opinion, not fact

God u guys are scaring me.Just went from 06 Roadglide to 12 Streetglide and now after this i might get rid of it......GEEEEEEEZZZZ

God u guys are scaring me.Just went from 06 Roadglide to 12 Streetglide and now after this i might get rid of it......GEEEEEEEZZZZ

The 103 is hotter..But you won't regret the purhase !! Still not ready for the TFI as of yet..But it's comming !! The ABS and all the whistles make mine a dream to ride..FLHTCU 2012..only problem was the volage regulator and it was fixed free.

Its a air cooled HD motor, Its suppose to be hot and when you sit on the motor its going to be noisy. My 06,08, and 2012 all sound the same.

You can hear the noise in the heads and feel the heat.

Lift hood of your car!! tell me if its hot and its liquid cooled, Listen to the rockers or ticks it makes. Its an engine with moving parts

Well said, put a 106" kit on it with some 583 cams then you'll have some heat and noise, but it'll be fast!!! :D

Just traded my 2011 with a 103 motor 6400 miles...the motor went bad...service manager at a large dealer told me that they are having some problems with the oil coolers slowing down the flow of oil to the top end. The hotter they get the worse the noise gets because of lower oil pressure. The dealer told me that it is becoming common, after rebuilding the motors they are taking off the coolers and the problem is going away. He told me to listen carefully through the break in on my new one, if i thought it was too noisy they would take the cooler off of it under warranty.

Which oil cooler?

This is pretty major and scary. I had an HD oil cooler installed on my new RKC 96cu when I bought it (not much difference between the 103). To think it is ruining my engine sends chills up my spine. Does anyone know if this is true fact or a dealer shootin' it to a customer. Really, that's a major serious problem. :small3d031:

Back