free website stats program 103ci hot and noisey | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

103ci hot and noisey

good for you you got the pick of the litter dont have heat issues any worse than my 96 did but i can asure you the noise is there and more than enough people are haveing this fantom problem

Well, I have no idea what you're talking about. What you say makes no sense to me. I have a '12 103 that's bone stock. No stage 1 and cats in place.
The 103 is a fantastic engine that makes NO MORE heat or noise than any other MoCo engine. It's an air cooled push rod engine for Gods sake.
Maybe some would be happier on a Goldwing. Be my guest.

Internet ramblings get the rumors going and then others have "Heard or read" about supposed problems and carry the story on. So now I'll ramble; I have a 103 and I do not have any worse heat issues than any other air cooled V-twin.
My 103 makes the same noises as the 96 and 88's I've ever been around, no more-no less.

Well good for you, your one of the lucky ones who have a 103 that is just right for you, I had a 08 road king that was perfect, when some of my friends had nothing but problems with there 07-08 kings, but I gave it up for the NOT perfect 103 STREET GLIDE that was nothing but noisy, but my 09 96 is just right.

HOT....... All HD's run HOT and More-so each year with HD modifications that produce More Heat along with EPA's Push for leaner fuel ratios.
Not just the 103 cu in,,,,,,

The way HD did the newer STROKER motors causes a lot of Extra HEAT problems that the older 06 and before didn't have.

Do you know a TC 96" bike of 07 and up, is bored the same size as an 88 cu in bike of 06 and earlier?

and the 103" IS the same bore as the 95" bored out 88" bike?

HD moved the Piston wrist pins up 3/8 of an inch and cut off the piston skirts to fit the 4.375 inch Stroker they built on the 07 and up bikes.

Changing from the earlier TC's 4" stroke.

The piston being shortened for the NewTC with 4.375 stroke motor MAKES much more Heat then the older style(same size piston bore) 88/95" motors with their 4" stroke.

Little history:
Remember the EVO was a 4.250 stroke, a Very well made motor.

In 1999 model year HD changed to a TC and used a 4" stroke.

Then the TC 96"STROKER motor arrived on our door-step. For years now, since 06 and had many changes in the 07 model year (06 dynas).

These changes were the Stroker Motor from 4" to 4.375 and using a new developed 6 speed tranny.

The New 96" TC motors in the 06 dynas along with the 6 speed,,, then in all TC's in 07 and up.

Heat issue Change again;

The thing I see is the EPA compliant exhaust in 2010 (on all calif. bikes before) was a big shot in the HEAT department.

The 09 (my bike) runs much cooler as it came out with No cats.BUT being Stock off the floor, way too lean on fuel getting 48 MPG and running HOT.

A BIG problem is that HD wanted to get good mileage and DID and DOES build the bikes to accomplish this. Some of the big twins get 50 mpg and LEAN is why. TOO Lean in my book...

I have always noticed on My HD bikes and Other owners too, that when you MODIFY the bike to run cooler with Exhaust and Air,,, More fuel is needed to offset these modifications. The Mileage does go DOWN... but NOT WHEN USING THE GEN4

IF a bike has the Proper Fuel (AFR) IT CAN Still get the GOOD mileage that HD's EPA compliant bikes get running way Too LEAN. (Dobecks gen4 is my Proof)

Just putting the FUEL in the motor at Proper times and amounts,,will allow the bike to run cooler and NOT Use any more fuel and get Better MPG like the Hot HD and EPA approved way does.

HD(EPA compliant) HAS to run these bike in the 14.50/75 AFR area to keep to the liking of the EPA. Gen4 allows YOU to set the AFR...

HD's Hands are tied. BUT HD Does offer Fuelers,Exhaust,Intake, Big Cams/Piston sizes Many are NOT compliant with the EPA and allowed to be used on CLOSED course track only. So HD offering the HOT ROD parts in a way YOU Buy and YOU are the Guilty one, not them. If you choose to use them on the highway, Not their problem. :D

The way I see this is, You change and use your bike the way you want.:21:

HD sells you All the Goodies $$$$ but Not all are EPA approved.:(

I have Always Modified My Bike to Run at it's best and keep Cool.

I like the stage one modifications on my bike(air and exhaust) and the SE255 cams(EPA compliant) along with Dobecks Fuelers that are simple to install and less $$$ then the other devices HD offers for me to use.

Off the floor, My 09 FLHR ran HOT, even after broken in, HOT.

I added V&H slip-ons and SE air, SE255 cams, AND a Dobecks TFI...

My wife who rode with me a lot asked after a ride with me with these added improvements,? "what did you do to the bike? It is so much cooler and has a Nice Rumble to it.

My bike and I are Happy now in Az.
I did add a Jagg 6 row oil cooler and Believe me It does get HOT in Az. My bike does run Cooler (proper fuel-air ratio) Using the New Gen4,,, NOW being able to see my AFR on a gauge and able to change it on the fly, I'm keeping it running COOL and at the AFR setting I Choose. (seldom do I change this setting but can)
Now using a gen4 set at 13.5 and getting a solid 47 miles per gallon...

I Call that COOL.... And so does my Motor. :D

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Bubbie you're so right. The company has to be compliant but furtunatly we still have some individual freedoms left. As, to the noisy engine syndome, try riding an old Shovel for a day, you'll be glad for the newer engines. Get the Gen 4 tuner and get the fuel right and you'll be very happy. Get rid of the cats too. At the next service use only synthetic lubes, this alone should knock down your temps a good bit, then add the oil cooler and that should about take care of the temp issue. The noise issue can probably be bad lifters, after all they are manufactured parts and not perfect, but there is always going to be some noise that's the nature of the beast...

Internet ramblings get the rumors going and then others have "Heard or read" about supposed problems and carry the story on. So now I'll ramble; I have a 103 and I do not have any worse heat issues than any other air cooled V-twin.
My 103 makes the same noises as the 96 and 88's I've ever been around, no more-no less.

Well...now I can speak by experience - took 2012 RGU w/103 on test drive @ local dealer yesterday. After a good 20-miles I'd have to say it was significantly hotter than my 09 FLHX w/96 & seemed to have more engine "clatter." Pulled back into dealer & fired-up my bike to compare & definite lifter/crank noise on the 103 that I couldn't hear on my 96. Ride home w/my bike was quieter & cooler...not bashing...just backing my recent experience. Take it for what it's worth.:small3d031:

P.S. FYI - I'm running stage-1 w/TD exhaust & GEN3 TFI so I have to say my 96 does have a slight tune advantage over stock 103 w/cat.

As I have posted before, I rented a 103" RK and rode through The Valley of Fire and back down to Las Vegas. That was the hottest running bike that I have been on to date. Even after a long run to a stop light it would go into parade mode. It did seem a bit nosier than my 88" but I believe that it was part of the parade mode switching on and off. I was afraid of renting it because I thought that I would immediately fall in love with it and have to have one. Not the case, I was very happy to return home to my cool running 88".

No, I am not one of the "Lucky Ones". But I am a member of the vast majority of 103 owners who do not experience all the issues that get brought up.
If 80 or 90 percent of all the owners who have 103 experienced these there would be a huge uproar of complaints. The only place I see all the bitching is on internet forums. I don't hear them when I'm in large groups of Harley owners in rally parking lots or bars. I travel with a group of five couples, all who ride 2011 and 2012 touring HD's. At the end of a ride we talk about a lot of things, but never about what a horrible disaster the 103 engine is.
It's only when I come to internet forums that I hear the complaints.

Most of you guys are very knowledgeable about the bikes, and I greatly appreciate the information found here, but a guy needs to learn how to take information with so many grains of salt sometimes. Once an opinion gets repeated a few times it begins to gets some legs and is soon reported as facts. Things like "Everyone knows this" are said and some totally believe that. I respect others opinions, but when opinions are passed as facts it can cause harm.

my 103 is a lot louder than my 88 was....my 103 has a ton more power than my 88.....my 103 gets hotter than my 88...which is nice in the winter...but I live in Texas....:taunt

I have found that on My 09 96" stage one with SE255 cams, I first installed a TFI now the Gen4.

SE 255cams using SE slender taper P-rod adjusters.
Set above the recommend setting of 2.5T,,, I use 3T and 2 flats.

Setting at 2.5, I found the valves/lifters a bit noisy with the 255's. Setting them with this Pre-Load 3T-2 flats... Runs them Quiet as a church-mouse

I put on a Jagg 6 row Cooler, side mounted on down-tubes (FLHR)

I also put the thermostatic control unit behind the oil filter.

This was planned out for Az.'s High Heat.

It does keep cool and runs great.

using 20/50 Redline engine oil.
MTL in the primary
ShockProof Heavy Gear-oil in the tranny

I DO Know that the ShockProof Heavy DOES keep the bike Quieter than ANY Other synthetic gear oil I and Others have used.:s (not even spectro runs as Quiet nor Lubes like ShockProof)

When I do go 103, I'm sure it will Still run cool enough and IT IS quiet enough..:D

signed....BUBBIE

Well, I have no idea what you're talking about. What you say makes no sense to me. I have a '12 103 that's bone stock. No stage 1 and cats in place.
The 103 is a fantastic engine that makes NO MORE heat or noise than any other MoCo engine. It's an air cooled push rod engine for Gods sake.
Maybe some would be happier on a Goldwing. Be my guest.

I have owned 6 Hd's over the past 20 years. currently have a 04 road king and a 2010 103 ultra limited.The 103 runs so hot at times I need to check to see if my right thigh is smoking! It may not be all bikes but there is no way a 25K bike should run this hot in a 75-80 ambient.Love the bike but it is not enjoyable when your leg is burning up! Seems people that have the same issue remove the cat in the header pipe, lets see what HD says going in shop this week.

Back