free website stats program 103ci hot and noisey | Harley Davidson Forums

103ci hot and noisey

braddebs

Wondering if all 103's are hot and motor real noisey. De-catted exhaust, with s&s headers, se breather, sespt tuner,dyno tuned, and v&h ovals.:small3d031:

Dont have a 103, my bike is a 96" and don't know how you define "hot" or "noisey" but can tell you most people feel HD's run hot from the factory. Looks like you have a decatted Stage 1 so, as long as your fluids are good, I'd say your running as cool as your gonna get without putting in cams. Take some temperature readings if you can and get back with us. (you'll note the new HD oil temp gauges read up to 350*).

As far as noisey, it's a v-twin, they make noise, especially compared to water cooled metric bikes. Can you be a little more specific??

i have a 2012 street glide engine is far noiser than my 09 96 cubic inch engine a lot of excessive top end noise and lifter rattle in the morning oncold start up tec at harley shop said they are having a lot of lifter problems with the 2012 they will change them out for me but wait see if the motor company comes out with a fix or replacments

Its a air cooled HD motor, Its suppose to be hot and when you sit on the motor its going to be noisy. My 06,08, and 2012 all sound the same.

You can hear the noise in the heads and feel the heat.

Lift hood of your car!! tell me if its hot and its liquid cooled, Listen to the rockers or ticks it makes. Its an engine with moving parts

2012 SG I am also having a simalar issue, see earlier post :Top end noise. I was ready for my 5k service when I took it to the dealer, thier suggestion, do the service and monitor it for increasing noise, no mention of lifter issues. Did my service and I believe the noise is getting a bit worse, so it will go back to the dealer when the weather clears. Just under 6k on it now and IMO I should nt be having ticks in the valve train so soon.

does your 2012 sg start hard mine starts hard alot more so than my 09. mine is very noisey all so put on a power commander screaming eagle air cleaner and rhinehart 4 inch slip ons engine runs much cooler

I wouldnt really say mine starts hard, a couple revolutions of the motor and it fires right up. the valve train noise in mine is what is bothering me, it started about 4500 miles on the bike, and maybe its just me being paranoid but I swear sounds like the entire valve train is ever so loose and SLOWLY gettin a bit louder. No loss of performance, just irratating to have a new bike that sounds like a dry sewing machine.

Sometimes bigger isn't always better...:s

Heard + read of heat & noise issues w/the bigger motors on new touring bikes - anyone running oil temp gauge to give out some readings on how hot...?? Curious...

i have a 2012 street glide engine is far noiser than my 09 96 cubic inch engine a lot of excessive top end noise and lifter rattle in the morning oncold start up tec at harley shop said they are having a lot of lifter problems with the 2012 they will change them out for me but wait see if the motor company comes out with a fix or replacments

I just got rid of my 2012 street glide for the same reason's. The 103 is to hot and the top end noise was driving me nuts, I now have a 09 road king and i am very happy.

I just got rid of my 2012 street glide for the same reason's. The 103 is to hot and the top end noise was driving me nuts, I now have a 09 road king and i am very happy.

Well, I have no idea what you're talking about. What you say makes no sense to me. I have a '12 103 that's bone stock. No stage 1 and cats in place.
The 103 is a fantastic engine that makes NO MORE heat or noise than any other MoCo engine. It's an air cooled push rod engine for Gods sake.
Maybe some would be happier on a Goldwing. Be my guest.

Internet ramblings get the rumors going and then others have "Heard or read" about supposed problems and carry the story on. So now I'll ramble; I have a 103 and I do not have any worse heat issues than any other air cooled V-twin.
My 103 makes the same noises as the 96 and 88's I've ever been around, no more-no less.

Back