free website stats program 103cc motors, NG??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

103cc motors, NG???

I have talked to 3 riders with the new HD 103 motors and they all had to take their bikes back (one was a Triglide) and have the top ends reworked. Was wondering if Harley Davidson is having problems with the 103 motors? I have a 103cc Triglide but have only 8,000 miles on it and no problem as of yet... Any news of this with anyone else???

The engine itself is a crap shoot for reliability. HD has decided to build a engine that can be unreliable for the long term for those of us who like to ride many miles.

The crank pin press issue one, the factory uses a press pin for the connecting rods that doesnt keep enough outward pressure to keep the connecting rods from shifting over time. Some engines never have a issue then there are some engines that have issues.

Another issue with the pin is that some are not true when the connecting rod pin is pressed in. Some have come out of the factory with .005 and a little more. This will eventually shorten the life the engine because of it being out of true and balance. I personally got 30k miles before the crank shifted in my 103"

Lifters are another problem. HD changed the source for the lifters they were using to a supplier from mexico. The 99C lifters have had a high failure rate since they switched from the 99b US made lifter

With a trike the 103 engine is too small for the added weight and strain from wind and hills for high mileage riding. If your over 150lb as a solo rider the 103" in the trike is already under powered for the added weight

I would advise anyone who wants to have a engine that will give you the power needed to move a Harley trike easily and last, build a 117" with no more than 10.2 compression. Also when building a engine, Think Torque!! not Horsepower. Unless you plan on revving your engine above 5200 rpm you will never see the HP come into play.

Usually when the manufacture address manufacturing problems they come out with a new and improved model. Sooooo, hopefully the new 2015 Road Glide will have upgrades to both the engine and drive train concerns that are ever increasing with the 2008 and newer bikes especially the touring family....

Usually when the manufacture address manufacturing problems they come out with a new and improved model. Sooooo, hopefully the new 2015 Road Glide will have upgrades to both the engine and drive train concerns that are ever increasing with the 2008 and newer bikes especially the touring family....

They haven't done anything since this problem has begun with the 2006 Dyna framed bikes. HD even increased the spec for pinion shaft run-out on the crank when they had so many warranty claims to lessen the expense for them until the engine completely destroys itself internally

Here is a video with a good explanation of why the HD flywheels are weak and what happens with the HD stock flywheels and why S&S flywheels are better

Rob Schopf on welding flywheels - YouTube

Have you heard about the "oil Cooler" that are on the 2010 and up 103's are causing the oil pressure from cooling the Top Head and causing too much heat in that area etc..? Some HD mechanics at the dealers are saying that taking them off is better for the motor as for now.?

Have you heard about the "oil Cooler" that are on the 2010 and up 103's are causing the oil pressure from cooling the Top Head and causing too much heat in that area etc..? Some HD mechanics at the dealers are saying that taking them off is better for the motor as for now.?

I don't think I understand what the problem is. Is the oil cooler causing some type of restriction in the oil circuit, and the oil is getting hotter? Or is the placement of the oil cooler restricting air flow to the top of the cyl.? Was some change made to the oil cooler that Harley has been selling for years, and why would Harley now have an oil cooler that restricts oil flow?

I would tell a mechanic who told me this its (EDIT). Heat in the head is from the combustion chamber and especially the exhaust port. If the head temp is hot ( And you need a IR gun to verify it ) then that would tell me the calibration being used is too lean.

The oil cooler is a just what it is, a heat exchanger. If its restricting flow then I would be worried that if it is restricted there is a bigger issue taking place with in the engine

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 09 Now 103" w se255 cams, gaterman lifters Ina's gone, heads done by Don at "Dewey's Heads" .030 head gasket, pumping 185# at 4400 feet elevation... I use a gen4 AFR unit from Dobeck Performance.

Setting ANY AFR is easy to do. I run my (want more fuel for cooling) at 13 to 13.5 and my cruise at 14.0 AFR..

I get the best economy = 46 at that setting and never below 42 at worst...

I have goten 50 mi per gal when trying for mileage. I won't run that lean here in Az. but just to try setting at HD's setting of 14.7 I did just that. 50 miles per gallon. Long flat ground 80/90* day, using 5/6 gear. about 50/68 mph....

You are Correct about needing a fueler to Help keep the bikes from Burning up... Modifications to the air and the exhaust make it a MUST... Those that DON'T take a BIG risk of over heating the engine Inners (valves/pistons)...

TWO BIG reasons HD is running LEAN is: Wanting to get good mileage and the EPA Mandates....:newsmile099:

signed....BUBBIE

Don't you mind telling us what you have? :bigsmiley14:

I agree with you mr. 08 trikeman. I read about the oil cooler in another Forum on motors (103) from one year to another and I thought I bring it to this Forum to see if anyone else has heard it. thanks for the comeback....later---

Good move to Keep above 2200 RPM.. Most Like to hear Potato or is that Potatoe ?:bigsmiley25: Too much low RPM but A Beautiful Sound, ruins these bikes......

Soft flat cruise even I never drop down to 2200 RPM...
I'd Personally try about 2400 least..

You guys have a bigger problem with weight in your bike and my light King @ 800+ is just a Lightweight...:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

Hello BUBBIE, since I do not have a tach on my bike (2001 Heritage) I wish you could sorta guess at some speeds and relate to RPMs -- ie: if I am riding along and come up to a semi sharp curve and slow down to lets say around 30-35 MPH or so, should I be downshifting or gently turning up the gas as I go around the curve in high (5th) gear??

Thanks for your input
Bill

Hello BUBBIE, since I do not have a tach on my bike (2001 Heritage) I wish you could sorta guess at some speeds and relate to RPMs -- ie: if I am riding along and come up to a semi sharp curve and slow down to lets say around 30-35 MPH or so, should I be downshifting or gently turning up the gas as I go around the curve in high (5th) gear??

Thanks for your input
Bill

Just my opinion, but you shouldn't be in 5th gear doing 30-35. I'd be in 3rd gear, and accelerate as you're coming out of the turn. If possible, downshift before hitting the curve.

Back