free website stats program 103 stage 2 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

103 stage 2

When he did leak test at 100 psi it had 9% leak and was blowing back through the vent tube. That was when Harley said to replace cylinder, rings and piston.

That is a Ton of leakage for such a new engine. It is great that HD stood up to the plate and did what was the right thing to do. I bet you will be Very Happy with the results.!

Thats a good deal it cost me allmost 1100 to do the stage 11 on my 07 that was with a lot of stuff under warranty,just out of curiosity did you go with manual or auto compression releases? I went with the manual they wanted an extra 400 to put in the auto, im starting to rethink that ,sorta of a pain pushing those buttons on a hot motor ,and no even with a fresh battery it wont turn that motor over when you forget to use em...

Thats a good deal it cost me allmost 1100 to do the stage 11 on my 07 that was with a lot of stuff under warranty,just out of curiosity did you go with manual or auto compression releases? I went with the manual they wanted an extra 400 to put in the auto, im starting to rethink that ,sorta of a pain pushing those buttons on a hot motor ,and no even with a fresh battery it wont turn that motor over when you forget to use em...

I'm still learning the inner workings of my bike. What are auto or manual releases you are talking about?

That is a Ton of leakage for such a new engine. It is great that HD stood up to the plate and did what was the right thing to do. I bet you will be Very Happy with the results.!

I am very pleased with the way this dealership handled everything. I just don't understand how that could happen with the way I broke it in. I guess it's just one of those mechanical things that happens from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you start upping the compression it puts a lot of strain on the starter so to make it easier to start compression releases are normally installed. In a nutshell a manual release is installed on the head to vent the cylinder to air,once the engine starts the pressure will shut the release and it will have full compression (you can actually hear air hissing until they close) a auto release is electrical and opens when you press the start button and closes when you release it. S&S makes cams they call easy start that release compression until the motor gets to a certain RPM. I recently bought a new battery from drag specialties ,a 10, with 385 cold cranking amps,the shop I bought it from,an indy, told me with this battery I wont have to use the compression releases, WRONG, I tried for giggles made a terrible noise didnt start. So that is why I asked what type of release the dealer Texas Harley in bedford TX wanted 400.00 extra to put in the auto release,so it sounds to me you got a really good deal. Oh BTW your gonna just love that 103 with the 255 cams it feels like a completely different bike..Tom.

If you compression front to rear was within a few pounds, and you read 5% leakage at 80 PSI of cylinder pressure, I would be wondering about that dealership.

I talked to the tech today and the bike is done. He said he took for ride and everything is good. I can't pick it up until Saturday aaaaaaaaah. I did ask him if he did compression test and a leak test. He said compression was good. When he did leak test at 100 psi it had 9% leak and was blowing back through the vent tube. That was when Harley said to replace cylinder, rings and piston.

Ask the tech what is the comp./leak test reading now with the rebuild.

I am very pleased with the way this dealership handled everything. I just don't understand how that could happen with the way I broke it in. I guess it's just one of those mechanical things that happens from time to time.

I am not an engine builder or knowledgeable internal engine guy and I am just pulling answers out of thin air but....

Since these engines are dry sump oiling, the underside and skirt area of the piston is not splash oiled. Oiling is performed through a set of small jets (hence the need for 5 micron filters) under oil pump pressure. Maybe there was insufficient oiling to the skirt & underside of the piston because of a clogged jet. That would take out a set of rings in a hurry.

I would check and measure my oil pressure with a mechanical gauge just to know what it was. It's hard to check for a clogged skirt jet but at least you will know what the pressure was. If BOTH of your cylinders were shot (10% leakage), it would indicate to me it was an oil pressure issue. If only ONE cylinder was shot (10% leakage), it would indicate it was a clogged jet.

(Just pull possible reasons out of thin air so I may be in left field)

Maybe there was insufficient oiling to the skirt & underside of the piston because of a clogged jet. That would take out a set of rings in a hurry.

(Just pull possible reasons out of thin air so I may be in left field)
NO Hoople, you are in the Right field..

If the oil jets were NOT working properly,,, The piston usually will discolor from the Heat transfered..(over heat)

A good mechanic knows to look at the color of the pistons bottoms when torn down.

These newer style TC HD motors went to the oil cooling spray to remove the HEAT that WILL damage the piston and the rings IF they don't spray oil properly....

Usually above the IDLE oil pressure, the oilers Spray oil onto the piston bottoms and DO remove a lot of heat... The TC's engine design REQUIRES this to cool the pistons...
Yep,,,, we're right back to every year Hotter and HOTTER and Harder to cool.....

signed....BUBBIE

If the oil jets were NOT working properly,,, The piston usually will discolor from the Heat transfered..(over heat)

A good mechanic knows to look at the color of the pistons bottoms when torn down.

These newer style TC HD motors went to the oil cooling spray to remove the HEAT that WILL damage the piston and the rings IF they don't spray oil properly....

Usually above the IDLE oil pressure, the oilers Spray oil onto the piston bottoms and DO remove a lot of heat... The TC's engine design REQUIRES this to cool the pistons...
Yep,,,, we're right back to every year Hotter and HOTTER and Harder to cool.....

signed....BUBBIE

Just wait til CARB and EPA get thru with HD, its going to get a lot hotter and leaner, may be the end of our air cooled V TWINS

signed....BUBBIE

How do you know if they are spraying oil properly other than when your motor stops working properly like mine.

By the way I got the bike back yesterday and have just over 80 miles on it. The 103 definitely pulls stronger than 96. I like it a lot. I can't wait to start putting some more miles on it and see what it really can do. The Harley mechanic said after 50 miles just ride it like I normally would but don't hold a steady speed until after 500 miles or so does that sound right to you guys?

Hey! just info, had new ring job on my 09 road glide at about 20,000m. on warranty, because of oil leaking from the air cleaner, on the recomendation of HD it did the trick, wish I had the option of the 103 ,

Back