free website stats program 103 questions | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

103 questions

Wow, no one remondes a dealership?? Kinda aggree, sadley enough! So how do I locate a reputable guy to make the necessary mods??? Live near 60175 Saint Chalres, IL

Thought you were JUST after opinions.

If you think the beast Is Not performing up to what you expected...???

Who put it together? Who tuned it?

Self Or a shop?

These are the people you should be getting and Opinion from...

Now you sound like you will JUMP into the fire and toss so money at it.

Not too good an Idea IF you ask me.

The build you have and the COMPRESSION it shows NOW is needed/important to have a better outlook at the build you have.

IF the compression (CCC) comes in LOW you need to BOOST it to get the most out of what you have.

signed....BUBBIE

It's not that a dealership doesn't have the know-how because I am sure several do. But for the most part the dealership hands are tied when it comes to tuning. I am sure they gave you the dyno charts of your bike. Look at the A/F ratio line on the WinPeP chart. There should be a printed line across the paper somewhere at the 13.4 point. That's the EPA "friendly" line that the dealerships usually will not go below. Remember that your dyno pull was not at steady cruise speeds but at WOT. 13.4 is great for steady state cruising but not for WOT.

I would bet that is part of your disappointment in performance. At WOT you need more fuel than 13.4,, especially when using E10 fuels.

It's not that a dealership doesn't have the know-how because I am sure several do. But for the most part the dealership hands are tied when it comes to tuning. I am sure they gave you the dyno charts of your bike. Look at the A/F ratio line on the WinPeP chart. There should be a printed line across the paper somewhere at the 13.4 point. That's the EPA "friendly" line that the dealerships usually will not go below. Remember that your dyno pull was not at steady cruise speeds but at WOT. 13.4 is great for steady state cruising but not for WOT.

I would bet that is part of your disappointment in performance. At WOT you need more fuel than 13.4,, especially when using E10 fuels.
On the Dobeck Gen4 and SAE numbers that I have been familiar with.... SAE calls out for 12.5 AFR as "what motors need and work best."

I set the WOT at 12.5 and it GOES......

Now as far as the Cruise and Trying to get Good mileage,,,,, I use 13.5 when really hot out and go to 14.0 AFR on normal long distance running, knowing that HD uses 14.7 which is way TOO Lean.

I get 45/47 mpg at 14.0 AFR and when I twist throttle fully, i am showing 12.5 AFR.:bigsmiley23:

signed....BUBBIE

All work has been done at local HD shops.
Just want to start getting what I have paid for..

Bubbie all above looks great, how do I tell a good machinac form one who thinks he's good? They all want to seel you something and hope it works...

Dobeck is the tuner you use and recomend?
I will get the last dyno and attach latter.. Thanks!

All work has been done at local HD shops.
Just want to start getting what I have paid for..

Bubbie all above looks great, how do I tell a good machinac form one who thinks he's good? They all want to seel you something and hope it works...

Dobeck is the tuner you use and recomend?
I will get the last dyno and attach latter.. Thanks!

Yes, we'd like a look at the dyno print-out.

The Dobeck opperates differently than the High $$ HD one.

Many here on HDT, use the Dobeck products, we do get a Discount with them just for beiing a HDT member.:D

Right now, I'd stick with the HD tuner you paid Big money for,,,,, Just find IF NEEDED, someone who can tune it properly for you... Like Hoop said,,, USUALLY a private shop does the Better NON EPA tuning.:s

Hard to tell a good mechanic: go by what others say about their experiences with them...

Word of Mouth travels fast.

IF your compression is up on the bike, Proper tuning will probably HELP out.

Get your compression numbers to us here THEN we'll get some place with this.:s

NOTE: Also a dyno can show different numbers from one dyno to another... So it is Not Always an accurate thing when changing out to another dyno.

signed....BUBBIE

Three steps to better numbers:

1. Those heads are not known for making power; let Don Dorfman work on the heads.

2. The 259 cams need compression; not sure you have enough; check compression and post your cranking compression.

3. Pull the 259 cams and install a set of TMan 662-2s. Talk to Dorfman about cams; he favors TMan cams these days.

4. Do not dump the SEPST for the Dobeck tuner. The Dobeck unit is not up to the task for the combination you are running. You need the ability to adjust timing as well as fuel.

5. Retune and watch the numbers come up to the 115-120 range.

Here is the last dyno shoot.

Herd TMan cams OK, Kutter recommended them along with changing the heads and the exhaust. into 2 into 1, doesn't really look to good on a bagber.

Thoughts on these S&S pipes??

S&S Cycle :small3d002:

How do I get a hold of Don?

Attachments

• Dyno 6.2.12.pdf
    52.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the last dyno shoot.

Herd TMan cams OK, Kutter recommended them along with changing the heads and the exhaust. into 2 into 1, doesn't really look to good on a bagber.

Thoughts on these S&S pipes??

S&S Cycle :small3d002:

How do I get a hold of Don?

Try this; He's the MAN....

Don Doorfman up in Wa. State

Head Designs By Dewey 253-691-5893 Head Designs By Dewey

signed....BUBBIE

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water; no need to change pipes or replace the heads. Tallk to Don, let him work those heads and follow his recommendation on cams. Make the changes, get her retuned and then, if you think you want to change pipes, do it. However, the OEM head pipe, cat removed and a decent set of slipons like Rush or Cycle Shack will work just fine.

DeweysLogo.jpg

[/B]
Try this; He's the MAN....

Don Doorfman up in Wa. State

Head Designs By Dewey 253-691-5893 Head Designs By Dewey

signed....BUBBIE

ONE thing I never saw on your dyno sheet is the FUEL Ratio...

THIS in it's self could be the Problem with your Lower than expected numbers... I would have it TUNED before I tore into the engine.

If the fuel (AFR) is not runing at about 13.5,,, that motor is starving for fuel.

Look at some of Don's dyno pulls and you'll see the fuel (AFR) on the builds show the 13.5 area...

SAE tells me that the 12.5 is best for WOT positions. That is whay I like the Gen4, I CAN adjust my fuel accordingly to AFR ratio I want....

YES you Probably need +- timing for your motor and the Gen4 doesn't provide that...

signed....BUBBIE

DO YOU KNOW THE COMPRESSION NUMBERS PLEASE?

Back