free website stats program 103 Piston warning | Harley Davidson Forums

103 Piston warning

CalgaryBikeBum

Doing my 103 build and new bearings in ,crank is in ,seals are in, cases put back together. Had cylinders machined to fit new pistons. When I checked pistons they are marked STD (which is 1550 or 3.875") but they are actually 3.885 which equates to +.010 ? Luckily we measured pistons and fitted them based on that and not the sizes on the sheets. The rings though are for 3.875 bore so .... rings have a gap over .010 too big. The piston kit is a screaming eagle # 22942-00 . Hope this saves someone else the hair pulling I was doing. (If I had hair ) :newsmile100:

You are welcome and I have an update. I typed in those kit numbers on the off chance I would see something related. Wow. I"m not the only one. One guy (must be an builder) bought five sets and all 5 were the same. Marked std but actually .010 + with std rings. If you weren't mechanically inclinded and were trying to just assemble it as HD sends it (a bad idea anyways) then you would be in for a very frustrating surprise! :34:

I agree it's always better to mic things out first, I pulled & rebuilt a '73 Pinto 2000cc inline 4, after I got it back together, Oil light came on, I shut it down & after some investigating I found out the Block from the factory was "Line-bored" .010' oversized...needless to say I had to special order a set of Main bearings (Federal Mogal) that were thicker than what the supply houses normally carried. I was not a Happy Camper, but Patience & Perserverance Prevailed... :D

Wonder who is filling these packages, Made and packaged here or over seas, where is the quality control. Bet The MOCO has alot of builders upset here,Good for you checking before you had a major problem, it pays to check and double check details like this, Jack

Are you putting the 103" kit in a 2000 bike ? The big bore kit for a 88" only took the bike to a 95" . What I am thinking is the 103" kit was ment for the newer ( 07 & up ) 96" motor and there may be some differences in the kits .

Where are you getting the work done in Calgary, sounds like they know what they are doing.

that would make it a bit of a pain .. did you contact hd?
Yeah. Wasted a day. Would be running by now. Chicago is shipping me new rings. Oh well she's gonna be a 104 now (almost) hahaha:D

Are you putting the 103" kit in a 2000 bike ? The big bore kit for a 88" only took the bike to a 95" . What I am thinking is the 103" kit was ment for the newer ( 07 & up ) 96" motor and there may be some differences in the kits .
No. I put a SE 95 kit in last year. This year i decided to go big or go home so I pulled engine out again and stripped it right down. Ordered a stroker crank and rods , Stroker pistons and rings. Put on spare heads . When you start with and 88 and install the big bore pistons and jugs you get a 95. The factory 96's are a 4 3/8" crank (instead of 4") and 88 pistons? You need special stroker pistons too so you don't hit the valves etc. I am also putting on a new SE 44mm carb and intake. Hopefully that fits. HAHAHAHAH :newsmile100:

Where are you getting the work done in Calgary, sounds like they know what they are doing.
I am doing my own work with the exception of maching on cylinders. I bought all the tools to do things right from "Georges Garage" (there's a plug but he makes awesome tools) . Things went great till now. Oh well on my next one things will got better. I have enough parts left over to build a second engine for the price of gaskets and some lower cases. HAHAHAH

Last edited by a moderator:
Back