free website stats program 103 oil leaking from air intake | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

103 oil leaking from air intake

One note; someone here called ALL HD dealerships liars. Not so, I would like to read that one do you remember the post? Can you post the thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did my oil change not to long ago. Bike calls for 4qts. I only put in 3qts. I know im not over fillled. Still the same problem.
WAP.gif

Right on Terra !!! I saturate the new oil filter then add 3 qts only. Oil level is 1/2 full and no oil blowby. Never burn oil between 5000 mile changes. Using Mobile 1 motorcycle oil

Have been doing some internet browse and came across Doherty Machine product called Mystfree. Claims to eliminate blow by in any twin cam 99 and newer engines. 60-90 min install and only move the rocker box covers to install. Thinking about trying it to see if it cures my blow-by issue. Only down side it cost 230 dollars.

Jack has been helping me on my drippy intake and I think we figured it out. I'm gonna pull my SE intake, replace the o rings and gasket, and this time use a torque wrench! I know, how stupid can I be? Trust me, really stupid!

What got me thinking, SCARRY :panic, is some say their manuals say add 4 quarts, on similar bikes, but looking at my owner's manual, it calls for 3.5. I guess what everyone has been saying about measure what comes out and add same is going to be my plan. I will be doing the 1k service. When I bought the bike, they told me the 1k was included. Today go to schedule it, not included but happy to do it for a price!:newsmile03:

Glad this is a family friendly site because I would otherwise use colorful language! It ain't the money or the work. I'm frosted because I trusted them and didn't bother to have it written in the contract. I have purchased bikes, not all Harleys, from this family for over 30 years! As the raven said, "never more!"

Sorry. Didn't mean to dump on everyone. Did feel good to vent...

One more thing I noticed. Manual states checking oil level cold the oil should show half way full on dip stick standing on jiffy stand. When motorcycles is hot it should read full on jiffy stand. Meaning when hot the oil level should rise on the dip stick. My oil level when cold reads half way mark. But when hot oil level reads half way full. Same when hot or cold. Hoping this extra info jars someones memory and can help me figure this out.

One more thing I noticed. Manual states checking oil level cold the oil should show half way full on dip stick standing on jiffy stand. When motorcycles is hot it should read full on jiffy stand. Meaning when hot the oil level should rise on the dip stick. My oil level when cold reads half way mark. But when hot oil level reads half way full. Same when hot or cold. Hoping this extra info jars someones memory and can help me figure this out.

If you are saying the oil level is the same hot or cold that is impossible. Oil expands as the temperature increases. Checking the oil when cold is just a check that there is a sufficient amount of oil in the crankcase to lubricate before starting. Checking the oil when hot is to make sure it is at the proper level. Get the oil HOT HOT HOT! If you have an oil temperature gauge, check it when it is at least 200 deg. If you don't, go for a long ride (not when it is cold out) then check it. The oil level on the dipstick should be one square below the full line. If you are at the full line when the oil is HOT, then you may experience some oil blow-by in your breather.

If you are saying the oil level is the same hot or cold that is impossible. Oil expands as the temperature increases. Checking the oil when cold is just a check that there is a sufficient amount of oil in the crankcase to lubricate before starting. Checking the oil when hot is to make sure it is at the proper level. Get the oil HOT HOT HOT! If you have an oil temperature gauge, check it when it is at least 200 deg. If you don't, go for a long ride (not when it is cold out) then check it. The oil level on the dipstick should be one square below the full line. If you are at the full line when the oil is HOT, then you may experience some oil blow-by in your breather.

Nothing is impossible sir. Ive gone for a 160 mile ride and oil level stayed at the half way point. I know something is wrong with my bike. Just not sure what.
WAP.gif

Nothing is impossible sir. Ive gone for a 160 mile ride and oil level stayed at the half way point. I know something is wrong with my bike. Just not sure what.
WAP.gif

WHat!!!!!!!!! So what was the Hot oil level check at the end of your previous ride before the 160 mile ride? Never mind that, get the oil hot again on a warm day - stop and go traffic for about 45 min should do it. Then check the level and top up to one square below the full line. After you go for your next ride and you get the oil hot again, check the level again.

The only time I do a cold oil level check is when I change the oil. I fill it to about 1/2 way on the dipstick, then I go for a ride getting the oil as hot as I can. Then I check it and top it up if needed. It always rises about one square on the dipstick from cold to hot. After that I only do a hot oil level check every 1500 miles. If it is not leaking and it's running good I don't worry about it.

If you are checking the oil only when it is very HOT and your level keeps dropping considerably, then yes you may have a problem. A compression check should be considered.

I run mine 1/4 quart low because I aslo exprerianced oil leaking after 1000 mi oil change by dealer. winter was closing in so I decided to wait till then for them to tear my new road king apart. once I put about a 1000 miles on it the leak stop because it had blown out 1/4 of a quart by then. I aslo would like to add. I run a k&n air filter and when it needs cleaning it leaks out of the air filter.

Back