free website stats program 103 oil leaking from air intake | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

103 oil leaking from air intake

I had the same issue a couple years back on my old Fatboyand went so far as pipe my head breathers to a catch can mounted on the frame. iIwas just sure this would resolve the issue. I had already tried running oil level a bit low etc.
It was my K&N breather. I would have never believed it as i lightly sprayed ( so i thought) afte cleaning. To prove it to myself I cleaned it and dried it without applying oil. I then rode it a hundred miles and bam oil spray was gone. When they say light coat of oil on the breather they mean LIGHT coat.

My K&N filter is turning a light brown from the oil. I wish it was the K&N filter but I dont think it is. Im going to buy the stock Stage-1 filter (Dry) and see if it gets full of oil or not.

My K&N filter is turning a light brown from the oil. I wish it was the K&N filter but I dont think it is. Im going to buy the stock Stage-1 filter (Dry) and see if it gets full of oil or not.

Are you riding alot in the rain or over washing the bike? This could change the color also, if not try a bit less oil in the tank next oil change this will slow down oil carry over into the air filter

Don't waste your money on the dry filter. You’re always going to get a little bit of oil blow by and settling at the bottom of the filter. How well your rings are seated, riding it hard, hot temps determines how much. If the oil really annoys you put on the HD Heavy Breather (cone filter). The oil can't get on the filter and any oil that accumulates at the bottom of the elbow will get sucked up into the intake.

One thing I Believe;

IF and When the oil in the filter is " More than Enough" , Restricting Air Flow,,, IT Will Draw air from the easiest route and OIL with it...

LIKE Sucking it from the Vented Heads....

This creates MORE Oi in the filter ... You get the picture :newsmile011:

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

I have seen same problem and sometimes the umbrella valves in the heads don't seat correctly and allow some pressurized oil mist to come out breather hoses into air cleaner? I havent worked on the newer heads too much (past 2005 ) but running reduced level did away with most if not all of my oil misting problems? If the problem continues perhaps there is an issue in top section of rocker boxes? When you have air cleaner off , take a Q tip swab and check each breather hose (there is one from each rocker box) Does one appear to have more oil then the other? That might show you which area the excess oil is coming from? Hope that helps.

I have seen same problem and sometimes the umbrella valves in the heads don't seat correctly and allow some pressurized oil mist to come out breather hoses into air cleaner? I havent worked on the newer heads too much (past 2005 ) but running reduced level did away with most if not all of my oil misting problems? If the problem continues perhaps there is an issue in top section of rocker boxes? When you have air cleaner off , take a Q tip swab and check each breather hose (there is one from each rocker box) Does one appear to have more oil then the other? That might show you which area the excess oil is coming from? Hope that helps.

My model Stage one does not have hoses but I will check the little holes. It does not leave much room for Q-tips but Ill give it a shot. I ride 70-80 MPH for work at 1hr and 30minutes a day. Dont know if that makes a difference.

My model Stage one does not have hoses but I will check the little holes. It does not leave much room for Q-tips but Ill give it a shot. I ride 70-80 MPH for work at 1hr and 30minutes a day. Dont know if that makes a difference.

That's when I used to get most of my blow by in the filter, running pretty good at highway speeds. I now run the oil about 1/4 of the way below the full mark AND Harley drilled out the return port a hair larger which seemed to help a lot. I know it can be very frustrating when the oil is dripping down on the bike.

From my experience, adding the recommended amount is too much oil. Book says 4 qts for my machine (09 Ultra Classic) however, 3 1\2 qts does the trick. When I added 4 qts I got blow by via the air cleaner.

One note; someone here called ALL HD dealerships liars. Not so! It is up to you to know your machine. Reading the manual, participating in forums such as this one will help you find the correct answer. But, like SOME dealers, there is a lot of uninformed and incorrect information on forums as well. In the end, do your research and you will find the correct information. Calling all HD dealers is absurd...it simply is not true.

Back