free website stats program 103" in Limited or the 103" Kit in the Ultra Classic | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

103" in Limited or the 103" Kit in the Ultra Classic

Hello - I have the new Limited, it comes with 103 cams.
I did a stge 1 - V&H monster duals, SE air breather, Supertuner and then put it on the Dyno - Max HP 70.90 Max Tourque 81.40 - a little disapointing...
Come to find out HD is now putting the Catalytic converter in the header pipe and that is preventing the free flow of exhaust gasses. V&H just came out with a true dual header pipe and I am thinking of putting them on and changing to 255 cams - that should change my Dyno numbers.

Even with the low numbers the bike runs strong and sounds great
I had the 103 Stage 1 kit installed on my 07 96ci Road Glide. I installed the V&H 2 into 1 with a (gutted) SE Slip on and had the Stage 1 103" Harley download done. Like you with just the Stage 1 kit, I was disappointed but with the free flow exhaust, my bike Dyno'd at 85hp and 98ft.pd. of Torque, I put the Power Commander on it and it made no noticable difference.
The SE 255 cams are a good "all around" cam but not a Perfomance cam set up and careful consideration should be made before selecting a cam for your bike, the right cams can make an incredible difference in the way your bike performs.

Why is the Compression Ratio higher then? I think the factory 103 has gotta have either different Heads or something, I don't think the Stage 1 add on kit will raise the compression. Where's DOLT when ya need him?
OK, Let me backup here, I mighta made a Fool outa myself. My mechanic sez "The reason the 103" kit raises the compression is because it increases the Cubic Inches causing a higher compression ratio."
He sez ACE is Right, the Limited 103" from Harley has Stock cams, not SE255 cams.
AND he said ACE is also SPOT ON sayn that the Dealer installed 103" stage II kit will give ya more power than the "from the Factory 103".

I had a stock 2009 ultra Classic; I upgraded (after 1700 miles) to a 103 Stage II kit, Race Tune, Rinhart slip-on's, Port and Polish and Dyno tuned. I am now supporting 94.7 hp with 118 lb of tourqe. I'm very satisfied with my dealership work.

OK, Let me backup here, I mighta made a Fool outa myself. My mechanic sez "The reason the 103" kit raises the compression is because it increases the Cubic Inches causing a higher compression ratio."
===============================================================
Increased cubic inches alone, do not raise compression ratio. Decreasing the combustion chamber size in the head, or increasing the height of the piston/dome in the cyl. changes compression ratio.

So is the 103" basically a 96" with different pistons? It is like false advertising making you believe that with the 103" you are getting the full stage 2 upgrade from the factory.

All I've read so far from HD is that the engine displaces 103 c.i. Nothing about what all else they've done as compared to a stock 96.

I fine my bike runs great when i can get good gas, I keep thinking i need to do a 103" and then i find a good tank of fuel and the Way we go Happy, I do have 12k miles and still running stock pipes, but they sound like they are getting loader, So i'm thinking don't spend any money on the bike, wait until the 2012 come out with 2000cc. and go get one the them,

I just got a ultra ltd 2 weeks ago and can tell you that it is impressive. For a big girl she will get on down the road. Is it as fast as a built 103? I doubt it, but it does feel like a very solid motor. With my wife on the back and going up a twisty mountain road the bike pulled out of the turns and up the hill with authority. My riding buddies were impressed with the way it pulls away from them!

All I know about the 103 engine is that it is a very reliable one. I am glad you can afford to go either way but there is one down to earth thing to consider. No matter how much you put in a bike it will not increase the Blue/NADA book value of it. You may find the exception who will pay you for the extras put on but that will be a rare experience. Horse power costs money. How much of a warranty can you get with a 103 kit versul the Limited? Extended warranty on either? It is your money, your taste and you are the one who has to ride it. Fossil

Back